➰Chapter Twenty-four➰

Chapter twenty-four

The time had finally arrived. Izzy wore a beautiful, tight golden dress with her long, jetblack hair falling over her shoulder. Clary, on the other hand, had a tighter, black leather dress, and her bright orange hair tied into half a ponytail. Simon had also showed up, in an elegant suit that he said he'd borrowed from Raphael.

I was wearing a strapless, navy blue dress with a braided crown I did myself, and I gasped when I saw Jace, in front next to Alec, waiting for Lydia to walk down the aisle. I was sitting next to Simon, who was sitting next to Clary.

Lydia finally walked down the aisle, smiling warmly at Alec. Part of me wanted to support the union, but the other half knew this was not fair. Nothing any of us could do about it now, but wait.

Attention.The ceremony is about to commence. Brother Jeremiah's unmistakable voice sounded in my head. It is time for Alec Lightwood and Lydia Branwell to mark each other with the Wedded Union rune. A rune on the hand, a rune on the heart, a union is born.

Lydia smiled and took out a stele, preparing herself to rune Alec, when we all heard someone storming inside. I turned to find Magnus panting, as if he hurried as fast as he could to get here on time, and I couldn't help but smile widely. He stared at Alec intently, and if it hadn't been for the fact that we were so close to Alec and Lydia, we wouldn't have heard everything that happened next.

"What's that warlock doing here?" We heard Maryse snap, probably pissed off more than usual. It gave me a twinge of satisfaction to know she was unhappy about this.

"Izzy—did Alec invite Magnus?" Jace asked in a whisper.

She smiled, moved by the moment. "I did. But I didn't think he'd show."

"You're such a hopeless romantic," I giggled softly.

"Magnus, leave this wedding now." Maryse said, narrowing her eyes at him scornfully.

"Maryse, this is between me and your son. I'll leave if he asks me to."

"Are you gonna be okay, buddy?" Jace asked him softly, smiling at how nervous Alec was. His eyes were widened and I noticed his hands trembling. "Alec? Hey."

He gasped for air, hyperventilating. "I can't breathe."

"I know. It's okay." Lydia said in support, smiling at him to reassure him.

"I can't do this. I thought we were doing the right thing, but this isn't it." Alec said apologetically, but Lydia cut him off.

"You don't have to explain."

"Lydia, I'm sorry." He whimpered, still looking at Magnus.

"Hey you deserve to be happy. Okay? I'll be fine."

Alec then turned to fully face the warlock, and determinedly started walking—no, jogging towards him, as if he were afraid he'd disappear before he could reach him.

"Alec, what are you doing?!" Maryse complained, to which Alec simply raised his hand to silence her.

"Enough." He then pulled Magnus against himself from his suit and kissed him, expressing everything he felt for everyone around. It took them a couple of minutes to separate, still looking at each other. I met Jace's eyes, and I could tell he was thinking the same thing as I was. If only we could do the same.

➰➰➰

"You never cease to amaze me, Alec." Magnus observed, as most people had already left their seats and spoke in unison, discussing the info,ding of te events of the evening.