➰Chapter Twenty-six➰

Chapter twenty-six

"So good to see you again." He said with a cold smile, as six of his men entered the apartment right behind him, basically surrounding us. "Where's your brother?"

"You think we'd tell you?" Clary spat, as she, Alec, Simon and Isabelle walked up and stood beside me, ready to jump into action.

"You won't have to." Valentine stated, as if he knew something we didn't, which now that I think about it, wouldn't be that unlikely.

"Stay away from her!" Simon yelled, and launched himself at Valentine, but was stopped by one of his grunts.

I gasped, as Clary and Isabelle also pounced and attempted to rescue him. "Simon!"

But Valentine's men also held them hostage, making my stomach twitch.

"Stop!" Jace's voice gained all my attention, as I turned to look at him in relief. "This time you're not getting away."

"Finally ready to kill your own father?" Valentine spat, unimpressed.

"You abandoned me." Jace retorted, hurrying to stand beside me.

"I was protecting you. You weren't ready then, but you've grown," Valentine observed with a smirk, which sent a chill down my spine. "You've become the warrior I've trained you to be."

Jace had his blade against Valentine's throat in a matter of seconds, dashing so fast, none of the men were able to stop him. "You trained me well."

Valentine grinned, surprising me with his response. "And yet, I still have so much to teach you. Look, fight me, and watch your friends die."

I heard Alec grunt beside me, while I felt myself tense as I thought of Izzy, Clary and even Simon being in danger. I scolded myself for letting Jace notice, though, because he didn't look as determined to kill him now.

"See, you are strong, but they make you weak." Valentine mocked him.

"Let them go. I'll give you the book and we won't be able to stop you anymore." I urged, in a desperate attempt to save my friends.

"Ah, Abigail. You were always so much like your mother. Willing to do anything for those that you love." He laughed, which felt as if I'd been splashed withh a bucket of icy water. "I'm touched, but the book was never part of my plan. I want you to wake up your mother. I know that you'll all join me eventually. It's fated."

"If I go with you, promise me you won't hurt them." Jace said in a broke string of voice, making my eyes turn to him immediately.

"You have my word." Valentine replied, and Jace actually lowered his seraph blade.

"What the Hell?! No! No!" I yelled, feeling my eyes well up with tears.

"I'm sorry, Leah." He said apologetically.

"Jace what are you doing? You can't be serious!" Clary said in shock, still in the grip of one of the grunts.

"You are not like Valentine!" I said in desperation, as I watched Valentine open a portal behind him.

"I'm not?" He asked, his eyes firmly on mine.

"You're not!"

"You don't know that, Leah. You don't know that. Let them go." Jace asked, as Valentine nodded and gestured his men to let our friends go, and as soon as they did, Izzy hurried next to me, as well as Clary.

Alec threatened to walk up to him, but Jace pointed his seraph blade to us. "Get back! Alec, I mean it."

"Jace. Jace! What are you doing?" Alec asked, hurt in his voice for being rejectd by his best friend like this,