➰Chapter Fifteen➰

Chapter fifteen

"So, I was promised a great plan." I started, as I entered the elevator with Jace. He hadn't told me what he planned to do, and I was kind of waiting for his instructions.

"We'll head up towards the vault. Alec and Izzy are handling the rest. All we have to do is wait for their signal," Jace rolled his eyes. "And obviously grab the Cup."

The elevator started shifting upwards and I sighed. "Do you think she would've kept me if she had known?"

Jace's wild eyes landed on me, and his gaze suddenly turned soft. "You can't think that she didn't want you. She thought you were dead—"

"She gave me to Dot because she was already pregnant with another kid. And then she forbade me from seeing her and Clary for most of my life because she thought she was protecting Clary. It's hard to believe she could love me."

Jace didn't reply, but instead, stopped the elevator. I widened my eyes in surprise. "Why did you do that? Are we supposed to climb our way to the vault?"

"Precisely. Remember the binoculars?" I nodded, and he quickly drew a rune on his chest, one I hadn't seen before. "This one's a Nyx rune. It's like night vision. Go ahead and copy mine."

I started drawing the rune on my shoulder, the lines easily becoming the desired rune. "I got it. But how does this even—" I turned to look at Jace, amd he looked as clear as if the lights had been turned on. I suddenly felt jealous that he looked good in the darkness, while considering the fact I probably looked like the mess I felt like. I couldn't remember when was the last time I brushed my hair. "This is awesome!"

➰➰➰

"What is all this crap? Lunch receipts? There's like a thousand Chili's vouchers in here," I said, still rummaging through Luke's stuff in the vault.

"You're getting pretty good with your stele." Jace observed, making me smile. I was about to say something when a guard entered the vault and Jace and me quickly put everything in its place before staying still as statues. The guard pointed his flashlight at us and my hesrt skipped a beat, seriously thinking we'd get caught. But he simply shrugged and left, as if he'd seen nothing interesting. "I guess he's not a Downworlder."

"Lucky for us. Give me a heads up next time you're gonna do that. We need to be more careful," Jace scolded me, making me roll my eyes. I kept looking through Luke's things, but still found nothing interesting. "This will take all day." My eyes finally landed on a small manila envelope, and I quickly reached for it. I opened it without hesitation and slid everything out, eventually finding the Ace of Cups I remembered watching my... Dot use to read her tarot cards. I smirked. "Or you could just do that. That looks exactly like the Mortal Cup."

"This has to be it. We have to bring it to Clary so she can do her trick," I said, to which Jace nodded.

➰➰➰

When we were finally outside with Izzy, Alec and Clary, I gave Clary the card. She immediately started tapping her hand on it, but nothing happened. She frowned. "What the—"

"What's wrong?" I asked.

Clary gulped loudly. "I'm not sure."

"You're not sure what's wrong or you're not sure where your mom hid the Cup?" Alec spat.

"Theoretically, it should be here." Clary responded.

"Theoretically?" Izzy asked, a tone of alarm in her voice.