➰Chapter Seventeen➰

Chapter seventeen

"I'm not a fan." Izzy declared, making me snort.

"Jealous?" Alec teased her.

"No... Maybe. How the Hell did she catch that arrow?" Izzy said, making me laugh.

Alec's phone beeped, and he wiped that smile off his face in a matter of seconds. He hurried and walked up to Lydia. "I have something you need to see. Something attacked the Jade Wolf."

"The werewolves' headquarters? Where did you get these?"

"Leader of the New York wolf pack."

"You're friends with Lucian Graymark? An ex-Circle member?" Lydia asked scornfully.

I took a step forward. "How about you drop the bigotry and do your job?"

"Leah—" Izzy tried to stop me, but I was too pissed to listen to her.

"How about we send Isabelle and Alec to investigate? I'm sure this is linked to—" Maryse intervened, but was cut off by Lydia.

"Valentine. I need to see it for myself." She started walking out the Institute, but paused mid-way to look at Alec. "Are you coming or what?"

He looked taken aback, but nodded, followed by Maryse and Robert. I tried to tag along, but Izzy held me back. "Woah, there. You can't just leave. We're all on probatio."

"But I gotta help—"

"Just help me by staying out of trouble, okay?" I snorted, but Izzy looked serious. "I'm not kidding. Promise?"

"Fine. I'll stay alive." I said, rolling my eyes impatiently. Izzy smiled and left, probably heading into the action with her family.

I walked along the multiple hallways of the Institute, worried out of my mind. I felt completely powerless, and I hated it. I kept thinking about everything that had happened in the last few days, and how much I wondered if my life would ever be the same. It felt as if my future had already been decided and I had no say in it, as if I were condemned to this life of eternal suffering.

My phone rang and I quickly picked up. "Hello?"

"Leah," I heard Jace's voice. "We have a problem."

"So do we. The Clave sent this Branwell chick to take over the Institute," I said and I heard him gasp in shock.

"What? But the Ligtwoods have always directed the Insitute—"

I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "That didn't seem to stop her. You said you were in trouble. What's going on?"

"Clary changed her mind and told Simon's mom he would come home later. She's decided she will resurrect him."

I widened my eyes. "She can't do that! Simon would never forgive her."

"I tried to explain that to her, but she won't listen to me. Maybe she will listen to you, though.  After all, you still are—"

"Please don't say related," I asked immediately.

"I was going to say persuasive, actually. Meet you at the Jade Wolf in an hour."

I hung up and hurried to Institute's back door, not before sending Izzy a text on what I planned to do.

Whenever I stay out of trouble, trouble finds me. Talk to you later —Leah

➰➰➰

"Would you stop for a second, think about what you're doing?" Jace asked Clary, as soon as I walked into the restaurant.

"I am, Jace, okay?" Clary stuttered. "It's like my brain is telling me to do one thing and my heart another and—"