➰Chapter Sixteen➰

Chapter sixteen

"It just looks like a wine glass." Clary observed.

Izzy chuckled. "That wine glass saved Leah's life."

"If I hadn't gotten the Cup out in time, I would have probably become demon soup." I added, a shiver travelling up my spine.

"But you did. First rule of Shadowhunting: when something explodes, just keep walking. Never think twice. Never look away." Jace said, still holding my hand. I could tell he had been seriously worried about me, and now he wouldn't let me get out of his sight.

"And what's the second rule?" Clary asked curiously.

Isabelle smirked and hugged her from behind. "There's nothing a Shadowhunter can't do in heels."

I laughed, while I noticed Alec staring at the screens intently. I nudged his shoulder with my elbow. "Everything okay?"

"Alec, you can stare at this monitor all you want, but they need angel blood to get past the wards. You know that." Jace said, laughing playfully.

"Downworlders can't enter the Institute." Isabelle said with a grin.

"Not without an invitation from a Shadowhunter. And last I checked, Valentine is a Shadowhunter. The Cup is not safe here. We have to give it back to the Clave." Alec said, looking at me.

"Yeah, we're not doing that," I said, immediately putting the Cup back into the card.

"Not after everything we went through to get it." Clary agreed with me.

"My brother is right. The Cup is extremely important." Isabelle said with sigh.

Clary bit her bottom lip. "Maybe they're right. As long as you have this Cup, you and the rest of us will continuously be in danger."

"Are you agreeing with me?" Alec asked, looking impressed.

"I'm full of surprises." Clary shrugged.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't just say we give up the one shot we have at finding Jocelyn. This Cup is the one thing we have over both the Clave and Valentine. We give it up and we lose the one thing everybody wants and only we have." I said, looking at all of their eyes.

"I agree with Leah. We can't give the Cup to the Clave, not now. We need it. It's our only bargaining chip." Jace said, backing me up. I thanked him mentally.

"I understand how important this Cup is. I understand that if it fell into the wrong hands, it could be the end of the world as we know it. But I promise you that I will not let Valentine Morgenstern lay a finger on it. Not if there's anything I can do to help it."

Jace smiled at me. "There you go. You have her word."

Alec sighed heavily, but reluctantly nodded. "Follow me."

We all did as he asked and stopped at his safe. He opened it using his stele and I placed the card inside, smiling gratefully at him. "Thanks, Alec. I really appreciate this."

"Don't misread this as friendship. Since you've arrived, our whole world's been turned upside down. And you still annoy me," Alec spat, but it didn't stop me from hugging him. This time, he didn't tense.

Clary was on her phone, probably tryong to reach Simon. "We found the Cup.
I have so much to tell you. Call me back."

"He's probably overwhelmed with all of this. He'll call you when he can," Izzy reassured her, but Clary shook her head.

"Something's wrong. I can feel it."

A loud beeping interrupted the conversation, and we all hurried to look at the monitors in the Ops room. "What's going on?"