➰Chapter Twenty-three➰

Chapter twenty-three

"I'm sorry I asked! I came with you to escape my relationship drama, not get a front row seat to yours." Magnus said awkwardly.

"What was that?" Jace said, stopping on his tracks.

"Nice try, Jace. You're not getting out of this conversation that easily—" Clary said.

"Look out!" Jace said, as he pushed me to the ground in a hurry, a bright green wall of fire burning where I stood a couple of seconds ago.

"Ragnor put up wards to protect his lair."

"Why is the fire green?" Clary asked, stating the obvious in form of a question.

"It's a wall of fire that only the pure of heart and intention can pass through." Magnus explained.

I blinked a couple of times, staring at Jace's blue eyes. He helped me up awkwardly and we just stood there, looking at each other sadly, like you do when you know you will never have something that's right in front of you.

Clary cleared her throat. "Are you ready?"

The four of us ran through the fire, and I felt as if I was breaking through a bubble. I heard the fire wall zipping itself closed behind me, and I turned to look at Magnus, Jace and Clary, but only she was there.

"Jace?" I asked, starting to worry.

"Magnus? Where are you?" Clary asked out loud, but nobody answered.

I spotted a farmhouse a few feet away from us, and I could immediately tell that it hadn't been there a few minutes ago. "Ragnor Fell. That must behis townhouse."

"Let's go," Clary said, gesturing for me to walk with her, and I did. Once we reached Ragnor's doorstep, we noticed that the door was wide open. We walked in warily, our seraph blades gleaming in our grip. "Ragnor? Ragnor? Hello? Is anybody home? I need your help."

I studied the manor carefully. Ragnor was an elegant man, that much I could tell from all the luxurious furniture and old fashioned decor. On the side of the staircase, there was a self-portrait of who I assumed was Ragnor, next to it, a cup of warm tea that still let off a little steam, meaning it was recently put out there. "Ragnor, we know you're here. Where are our friends?"

"Leah, look," Clary said, pointing at the portrait. I immediately noticed what she meant and smirked when I caught a glimpse of the portrait's Ragnor blinking.

"Nice try, Mr. Fell," I said, as I helped Clary reach into the painting and pull out none other than the real Ragnor himself.

He immediately stood before us and fixed his fancy, silk nightrobe. "Well done, Clary Fairchild. I've been expecting you. You both have Jocelyn's talent, I see. Only a true artist would notice the subtle changes in my eyes."

"Yes, I know." Clary replied, putting her seraph blade away.

"I need to work on not moving my eyes, you don't need to remind me."

"You knew my mom?"

"So you're the one that put her to sleep." I said.