➰Chapter Seven➰

Chapter seven

We reunited with Alec, Isabelle and Clary, who surprisingly enough, didn't ask any questions about where we were.

"So Izzy and Alec will distract them while Jace, Clary and me go get Simon?" I asked, just to make sure I got everything right.

"Yeah. Let's go," Jace instructed both me and Clary to follow him.

We slithered into a dark tunnel, but thankfully I still had Jace's witchlight, so I lighted the way for us the best I could. Clary stayed closed behind.

"What that vampire tried to do to you back at the bar... it's called an encanto. It's like what snakes do to their prey before devouring them."

Jace suddenly stopped, and asked for both of our arms. Clary stretched it reluctantly, while Jace drew some rune on her skin I didn't recognize.

"Will these wear off?" She asked him, to which he shrugged.

"It'll take some time."

When he finished with Clary, he turned to me, and I winced a bit when I felt the stinging pain of the stele on my arm, even though the pain seemed to vanish slowly. "Do these give us any superpowers?"

"I drew you runes for silence and protection from the encanto. Hopefully it'll buy us enough time to find the Mundane."

"I just want to get out of here as soon as possible. This place gives me the creeps." I admitted, to which neither Clary nor Jace argued.

"What if they bit him?" Clary asked worriedly, while we kept walking through the tunnel.

"They won't drain him that quickly. They like to play with their food, vampires."

"Would it hurt him, though?" I asked.

"No. Vampire bites release some sort of hallucinogenic substance that would make him feel stoned. Like he's in love."

"With the person who bit him?! That's awful!" Clary cried.

"Is it?" Jace asked, then shrugged. "I wouldn't know."

"I'm guessing you've never fallen for the wrong person, then." I said.

"Actually, I've never fallen in love at all." Jace said, making me turn to look at him in surprise. His eyes travelled to mine for a minute, but then he shook his head and kept walking ahead of us.

Clary nudged my arm, staring at Jace's back. "If I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up on this guy, Leah. We barely know him."

"I'm not hoping for anything between me and Jace," I whispered back to her, lying to her face.

"We have to stay focused—"

"Yeah, like you checking out Izzy's ass?" I retorted, making Clary's face look as if she'd seen a ghost. "Relax. Your secret's safe with me. But I'm gonna have to ask you to back off."

"Girls," Jace said, as we reached s door. "Your blades."

We both held out our seraph blades and followed Jace in, before we were all ambushed by a trio of wretched vampires, including the Brad guy we stole the bike from.