➰Chapter Twenty-one➰

Chapter twenty-one

"We need help!"

"Oh my God! Jace! What did you do to Leah?" Clary asked, as she hurried to help me sit down once we reached the Jade Wolf.

"We thought we found Valentine, but he was already gone." Jace quickly explained, while I caught both him and Clary getting wet cloths to treat my wound with and a twinge of jealousy hit me all of a sudden.

"Michael Wayland?" Luke asked in surprise. Or so he says, I wanted to say, but was unable to utter a single word. Great. My tongue is anesthesized.

"Valentine took Jocelyn with him, but we found my father." Jace explained quickly.

"What?" Simon asked in confusion. "I thought Valentine killed Jace's father."

"He tried," Michael smiled. "Hello, Lucian."

"This can't be—I thought I'd never see you again." Luke stammered, while Clary attempted to disinfect my wound with booze she found on the bar, and I winced in pain.

"THUUUUUCK!" I yelled, my tongue still not responding. Clary gave me an apologetical look.

"Sorry."

"I never thought I'd see anyone again."

"What the Hell happened to Leah?" Luke asked, his full attention on me.

"Portal demon got her. She can't fight the venom." Michael explained.

"Portal demon? Never heard of those before. Are you sure it was a demon and not that she was poisoned?" Luke suggested, and I almost choked with my own tongue at how plausible that sounded. And also, I couldn't feel my lower organs.

"What if Valentine poisoned her as soon as she entered his lair?" Clary gulped.

"Whatever happened, her runes are too weak and she needs blood, but we can't go back to the Institute." Michael observed.

"Simon. Simon, there's gotta be some kind of blood at Hotel DuMort." Clary asked in desperation. I could tell she was worried about me, and even though the searing pain had extended throughout my entire body, I wanted to tell her I'd be fine. I had to be.

"Could you call Raphael?" Jace asked, but Simon shook his head.

"Calling won't work. We have to do this in person. My van is in the garage. You drive, I'll hide under a blanket to stay out of the sun, and—there's underground parking in the hotel."

"Okay."

"She's weaker. You gotta hurry." Luke said taking my temperature.

Jace kneeled beside me and kissed my forehead. "Hey. I'll be back. Just hang in there. Please."

Then Jace left with Clary and Simon, Luke stayed behind to watch over me.

Michael handed me a glass of water, while Luke gently helped me drink it. "Here you go."

"I thought you were dead. There were rumors that—Everybody thought they were true." Luke told Michael.

"He tried to kill me, but I survived the attack. I've been a prisoner ever since." I didn't trust everything this man was saying, it just seemed too convenient.

"I never thought I'd see him again." Luke whispered to him, which made me narrow my eyes at Michael with suspicion.

"How did you survive what he did to you?" Michael asked him.

Luke smiled and looked at me. "Jocelyn pulled me through." Then he wiped the smile off his face and frowned. "You were there. Did he hurt her?"

"No, and he won't. We both know that. He'll never stop loving Jocelyn, even if he wanted to. She'll be safe."