➰Chapter Nine➰

Chapter Nine

We arrived at some sort of warehouse, and I frowned, wondering why on Earth Magnus would have chosen a place like this to live in.

"Magnus's lair is right behind that fence," Jace said, pointing to a wire barrier in front of us.

"I don't get it. Why would he choose to live in a warehouse?" Clary asked.

"It's not that, exactly. Warlock glamour." Jace replied.

"Something's not right. It's far too easy to get this close," Isabelle said warily.

"The protective wards must be down," Jace noted.

"Don't get in the way," Alec warned both me and Clary, making us both glare at him.

We were abruptly interrupted by the grunts of two men fighting along the fence, which eventually ended when one of them was stabbed with a seraph blade by the other.

"Oh God! He found Magnus!" Clary cried, and we hurried to help him, but it was too late.

The man had thrown his victim from up there and he fell like a rag doll. A young girl in a red dress hurried o aid him and it broke my heart to see the fear in her eyes. "Daddy! Daddy get up, please!"

Suddenly, the same attacker from before creeped out of nowhere and threatened to strike at her, and I could only catch a glimpse of Clary as he rushed to kick him away from her with all her strength. "Watch out!"

The man stumbled, giving me enough time to get to where she was and protectively stand before her and the girl, my seraph blade pointed at him.

He lowered his voice. "Clary Fairchild. And you must be that other girl everyone's been talking about. Valentine will be pleased to see you both."

He took a step towards us and that's when I caught Izzy's whip stopping him from lowering his hand. She turned him around, allowing me to stab him with my seraph blade to finish him off.

"Good job!" Izzy said with a proud smile.

"I couldn't have said it better," I heard Jace's voice from above us. I turned to look at him and he winked at me, making me crack a small smile.

"It's okay. We won't leave you alone," Clary comforted the little girl, and we carried along.

Once we reached the chamber where Jace was, I gasp in horror from what we saw. There were warlock bodies lying around everywhere, some unconscious and some plain dead. I looked up to meet with Magnus once again, this time without the friendly smile so characteristic of him.

"Magnus!" Clary called, while we walked up to him.

He hugged the little girl and sighed. "Go join the others, my dear. This is no place for a little girl."

She nodded and left, obeying his orders. Magnus turned his attention to Clary and me. "I heard what you did for Zoe. You risked your life without hesitation to save a young warlock child."

"She was just a girl, and she was in trouble. There was no choice." Clary started but Magnus cut her short.

"There is always a choice. You're not like the others, my dears. You help Downworlders not out of the sense of duty, but because of what you feel in your hearts. You're more like Jocelyn than you'll ever know." Magnus said with a smirk.

"What?" I asked, wanting to know why he would compare me to Jocelyn as well, but Clary interrupted before I could do it.

"Magnus, please... Nobody can hide from this fight. He found you once, and don't think for a second he won't do it again," Clary pleaded, her bright eyes begging. She looked so much like her mother like this, and I even considered how much she looked like me right now, her green eyes showing just how much suffering she had been enduring lately, much like my own, darker, green eyes. "We need to work together. Help us."