➰Chapter Eight➰

Chapter eight

"Magnus Bane. He's over 300 years old and, as you can see, hasn't shied away from the world's pleasures. A little excessively, if you ask me." Hodge started, pointing at a man on one of the screens.

"He's like the Downworld's David Guetta," I said, smiling.

Isabelle giggled. "Leah, Guetta is already a Downworlder."

I widened my eyes. "You're kidding."

She shook her head. "Vampire. Ever seen him in the sun?"

"Can you two focus?" Alec pleaded, interrupting our budding conversation.

"Right. Sorry." I cleared my throat. "I think I know where we could find Magnus. He loves to party."

"The thing is, though, Magnus Bane is known for charging a lot for his services. He won't want to help you and Clary for free." Hodge said, making me sigh in annoyance. "But I have an idea. Isabelle, if you would please come with me."

Isabelle nodded, and we all followed him to the Institute's safe. Hodge outlined a rune on the floor and it then slid right off, revealing a fancy silver medallion with a red ruby hanging from it.

"Woah!" Clary gasped in amazement.

"A four-karat, unheated Burmese ruby." Hodge said, dangling it between his fingers. "This necklace has special meaning for Magnus Bane, as it was a gift from him to his then-lover, Camille Belcourt."

"Camille and Magnus used to hookup?!" I asked in shock.

"Looks like the warlock manages around," Jace said with a smirk, making me smile.

"He bought it in 1857 for the price of his townhouse in London. The gem is enchanted so that it alerts the person wearing it about the presence of demons."

"It's beautiful," Isabelle observed.

I took the necklace carefully. "I imagine he misses this dearly. It must be special to him."

"In fact, he misses it enough, he might just take the bait." Hodge smiled.

"I'll send Magnus a fire-message to arrange the meeting—" Jace started, but I stopped him on his tracks.

"No. Let me call him. He might be more willing to help if it's me who summons him and not a bunch of amateur Shadowhunters," I said, examining the necklace carefully. Then I realized what I'd said. "No offense."

"None taken." Isabelle laughed.

➰➰➰

We were rummaging through Izzy's things, me, Clary and her, trying to figure out what to wear for the party tonight. It wasn't a social visit, but Isabelle insisted it'd be a good idea if we could blend in as much as possible, and it was hard to argue with that.

My eyes finally stopped scanning when I saw a bright red dress, that would definitely be shorter than reaching my knees, but I liked it. I put it on, and sure enough, the skirt was so short, it barely covered my essentials properly and was tight against my body, managing to find figure I never thought I could have.

Izzy clapped. "You look so hot, even Alec would want to hookup with you in that dress!"

I laughed. "Izzy! Thanks, but remember that we're on business tonight. Find anything yet, Clary?"

"No! I think I'm just gonna wear this," she gestured to her old sneakers, jeans and t-shirt, making Isabelle shake her head immediately.

"I don't think so. No Downworlder would be caught dead in that." The brunette said, and reached for something from her wardrobe.