➰Chapter Twenty-five➰

Chapter twenty-five

I awaited Clary in her bedroom, where she told me to meet her afterwards. I was surprised when she walked in in a hurry, carrying the JC box in her hands, Jace following her close behind.

"What's going on? Why did you want to see me?" I asked, frowning slightly. She just shook her head and gestured for Jace to sit next to me on the bed. Once he did, she handed me the box, making me look back at her blankly.

"Are you trying to psychoanalize us again?" Jace asked, arching an eyebrow suspiciously.

"No. Not this time, anyway. It's just that you guys keep saying that Jocelyn abandoned you. That she forgot about you. But she didn't. Every year, she would take this box out and cry for a whole night. I'm assuming it was on your birthday." Clary shrugged. "My point is, she loved you. And she still does, I just know it. There has to be more to the story than what we know up to now."

"So you're saying that we should magically forget that we grew up as orphans?" Jace asked scornfully.

"No. I just want you to understand that there is another side to this whole situation, her side. It may or may not help how you feel about her, but you can't risk not giving it a shot." Clary said with a sigh, turning to leave us alone with the box.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "It's obvious that Clary wants to have a big, happy family again." I said, smiling awkwardly. I wanted to kill her for leaving us alone, but a part of me was thankful and that was enough to spare her.

Jace sighed. "I don't want us to pretend that nothing happened, Leah. Because we both know it did."

"I don't want to pretend it didn't happen. I guess I just want to move on from there, even though I'm not sure of where that might take us. Ever since I met you, my life has been one big chain of surprises and secrets, and I wish I could just press pause to catch my breath." I admited, feeling a bit exposed. I felt Jace nod beside me, and I tried my best not to look at those bright eyes that drove me insane.

"Ever since I met you, Leah, I've known how strong you are, and I've always admired you for that. Please don't shut me out, because I don't think I can take that."

"But what about you? You just found out a huge truth." I said, to which he shrugged, as if he didn't see its relevance. But I did. "Come on. Trust goes both ways."

"I trust you, alright. It's not that. I'm... I guess I'm just..." He trailed off with a sigh. "I don't know who I am anymore. For so long, I thought I was a Wayland, then I became a Lightwood and now..."

"You feel all over the place." I nodded understandingly. "I get it. You have all these realities and feel overwhelmed. But you don't have to choose one. Not now. You know that, right?"

He smiled and grabbed my hand instictively, but then pulled away when he remembered. "Sorry. The problem of being around you is that I don't know if I'll be able to control myself."

"Are you kidding? Omnipotent Jace lacks self-control?" I retorted sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes playfully. "I don't feel that omnipotent lately."

That's when Izzy stormed into the room in a hurry, almost tripping over her 6-inch heels. "Sorry to interrupt! But you guys have to see this!"

➰➰➰

"So you're saying Hodge was Valentine's spy all this time?!" I asked, shocked, as we watched the security footage, where Hodge clearly hit Lydia and knocked her out, leaving her unconscious, and then stealing the Cup from the safe.