Chapter 2: The Feast

Ella had her mother’s pride. That was one thing she knew she had besides her mother’s face. She was told she had to walk in with Robb, and this was the first time she truly met him.

“Hello, Princess.” He bowed.

Ella curtsied. “My lord.” She still knew her courtesies.

“It is good to see that you are doing better. I thought the vein in your neck was going to pop.”He stated.

“I get like that.” Ella replied. She wouldn’t apologize. She had no reason to. “It frightens some.”

“It doesn’t frighten me.”

“Then you are a fool.” Ella stated as she wrapped her arm around his. “Now smile, Robb Stark. The performance is about to begin.”

Robb looked at her with his head tilted to the side, and realized what she meant when the doors opened for them. It wasn’t the performance, it was her performance. She would be the one smiling and laughing and being the perfect princess. She knew how to play the crowd. It frightened him a bit.

How she acted, placing a hand on his shoulder, smiling and talking with people at his side. He almost believed she was happy with the union. But the words he had heard in the hall rang in Robb’s ears.

“I will never marry a Northerner!” 

Ella escaped from the feast as quickly as she could, going outside into the cold northern air. It was much colder here than it was in the South. She thought she would be alone out here, but not even that kindness was bestowed on her. 

There was a boy outside, the same age as Robb. It must have been Ned Stark’s bastard. He was hitting a post with a sword, practicing. 

Ella backed into the shadows and watched. She was never allowed to pick up a sword. Or a bow and arrows. Any weapon really. Besides daggers. Her mother gave her one when she flowered. 

“Let no man rape you.” Cersei had told her, putting the dagger with a ruby in the hilt in her hand. “Do you know how to use it?”

“Cut off their cock and watch them bleed out?” Ella had replied, causing her mother to smile.

“That’s my girl.”

She still had the dagger, she would always put it under her mattress no matter where she slept, unless she was traveling, then it would be attached to a belt she would put on her dress around her waist where it would rest on her full hips. No one bothered to tell her that was not ladylike. Her mother, the queen had given it to her. Her father didn’t say a word. She was a princess. No one would dare say no to her. She was spoiled, and she intended to keep it that way.

She watched as her uncle, Tyrion went to go talk to the boy. She rather liked Tyrion. He may have been rather odd to look at, but he would give her a book if he found one that would interest her. Ella was his favorite of her siblings, which she prided herself on.

Tyrion talked to the bastard until a man with Stark-like features, dressed in all black arrived. It must be the Stark who joined the Night’s Watch. Tyrion left, but started walking towards Ella, and leaned against the wall next to her.

“You are unhappy tonight.” He stated.

“How did you guess?”

“You could be paired with a worse man.” Tyrion told her. “Robert was always into whores. Robb will be like his father. He will not make you look like a fool.”

“And he will bring his bastard to where I live?” Ella replied. “Not only will I be stuck in the North, but I will also have to raise another woman’s child.”