Chapter 27: Trials and Tribulations

“Joffery Baratheon, you have been charged with treason, several accounts of murder, and several accounts of torture. How do you plea?” Daenerys Targaryan asked.

“I am the king!” Joffery cried. “You are the imposter.”

“Actually, you are a bastard of the Queen.” Jon told him. “You never had claim to the throne, and even if you did, Queen Daenerys has a better claim than you.”

Dany raised a hand to silence Jon. “Is it true that you ordered Ned Stark to die, though he was only carrying out Robert Baratheon’s final wish?” 

“He was trying to become the king.” Jofferey cried. “Just as you are taking it from me now, you bitch.” 

Ella pressed a hand to her face, her brother seemed to have gotten worse as time passed. He was a spoiled little brat.

“A crown doesn’t give you power.” Ella told him, sounding annoyed. “And even if it did, you don’t have one.” 

“How do you plea, Joffery Baratheon?” Daenerys asked.

“Yeah, I had Eddard Stark killed. I had many more people killed as well. I was only doing what kings do.”

“Obviously not.” Daenerys replied. “Joffery Baratheon, you are sentenced to death. Take him back to his cell.”

“You can’t do this! I am king you little whore! I am king!” He kept yelling as he was being dragged out.

Ella didn’t feel anything about her brother being sentenced to death. She felt like she should, for no other reason than Joffery was her brother--or half brother at least. But there was never any love between them. When she thought of him, she still remembered when they were younger and he bashed her kitten’s head against the wall, killing it. She remembered how he was cruel to their younger siblings, and Cersei always let him get away with it. She thought of how he killed Ned Stark, and countless other unnamed people while he was king. 

Ella didn’t feel bad; she felt nothing. She felt nothing for the psychopath she had as a half brother.

Daenerys looked at Ella. “How long did you have to live with that?”

“Fourteen years. He’s gotten worse since I last saw him, but he was always a brat.” Ella told her.

“I couldn’t stand him for five minutes, I wonder how you did for years.”

“Lots and lots of wine.”

Daenerys smiled slightly. “Send in Tyrion Lannister.” She told the guards before looking at Ella again. “This one you want to speak for?”

Ella nodded. 

“He was in the defenses of the battle. He was commanding it.” Oberyn stated. 

“He wanted to protect his home, you can hardly blame a man. He knew he would die if we won.” Ella said. “Of course it was a lost cause.”

“He did surrender rather quickly.” Stannis said. “And he is a dwarf. What harm could he do?”

“Deciding my fate without me?” Tyion called as he walked in. Unlike Joffery, he didn’t have guards on either side of him. He walked in with his hands bound in front of him. He had a fresh cut across his face. “I thought I was to be present for my trial.”

Ella couldn’t help but smile when she saw her uncle; she missed him so much. 

“I believe that is why I called you in.” Daenerys said. “You are charged with treason, how do you plea?” 

“Depends on what you call treason.” He replied. “I am guilty of trying to protect my family. I am guilty of trying to protect this city. Those are the crimes I came here to face, and to those I plead guilty.”