Chapter 5: He Will Always Disappoint You

“I am sorry I seem to be cross with you.” Ella told Robb when they stood on a balcony overlooking the courtyard that night. “It is not you. I promise I am not usually this cruel to men I barely know.”

“And what of the ones you know well?” Robb asked.

A hint of a smile graced her lips. “That depends how who they are.”

“This may not be a perfect union.” Robb told her. “But according to everyone I speak to, I am the only one you have insulted.”

“I’m sorry for that.” Ella whispered, looking down at her hands on the railing. “I lash out when I am upset. It took me a while to think that you may be upset as well. I have two brothers, you know, and the eldest would suffer and I would watch without stopping it.”

“Joffery? He does seem rather...”

“He’s a little shit.” Ella told him. “I once had a kitten growing up. I left them alone in a room together--he was only nine at the time--and when I came back, the kitten was dead. Skull smashed against the wall.” Ella turned to Robb. “I never dared called an animal my own since then. Joffery wants to destroy what others have that he can’t.”

Robb stayed silent, not knowing how to respond.

“I would like to get along with my husband.” Ella told him, looking back at the black sky above them. “Even if we are friends, I would rather that be over arguing and a bruise gracing my cheek when you lose your temper.”

“I would never hit you.” He told her. “Hitting a woman is never proper.”

Ella smiled, finally turning towards him. “Perhaps we can both start over then.” She curtsied. “My name is Ella Baratheon, Princess of the Seven Kingdoms.”

Robb smiled, bowing. “Robb Stark, heir to Winterfell and warden of the North.”

“Tell me about yourself, Robb. What do you enjoy doing in the North?” 

“Oh, you know. Riding, beating my brother at everything. That sort of thing.” He winked at her. “Maybe meet a few princesses.” He stepped towards her.

“Oh? And how many princesses have you met, my lord?” She unconsciously moved towards him as well.

“Not many, perhaps, since they rarely come so far north.”

Ella laughed. “How disappointing it must be. It is not every day that you meet women who believe they are superior in every way.” 

“Not all of them are that way. Some prefer running with wolves, and promising little girls that she can fake knowing how to sew.” 

“Arya told you about that?” Ella asked, laughing. “Perhaps I shall teach her how to keep a secret next.” 

“Perhaps she loves her elder brother so much she cannot bare to lie to him.” Robb asked, slipping a bit forward to they were nearly touching. 

“Perhaps I shall have to get her to love me more.” Ell replied. “Sansa already does.”

“Sansa longs to be a princess.” Robb replied. “She would love anything with a crown on their head.”

“She will love me forever then. I shall always be a princess, unless I become queen.” Ella told him. “And what of your brother? The one who you do not share a mother with. He seems to not like me very much, not that I blame him.” Ella walked past him, going to the other side of the balcony.

Robb turned to face her, stepping closer to her. “He does not know what to make of you. What he has seen of you and what he has heard are all so different it confuses him greatly.”