Chapter 20: Unwelcome Surprise

It took a month to get to Saltpans, and another month to get to get to Riverrun. They were never noticed. Just travelers passing through. They were thankful of that.

They had to have been seen coming, because fifty men on horses led by Stannis. Ella could see tears in his eyes when he saw her, stopping his horse next to his and holding out his hand for her to take.

“I thought you were dead.”

“Have faith, uncle. I have a crown to win, I couldn’t die without it.” She said, taking his hand.

He kissed her knuckles. “I should’ve known better.” He looked at the bundle that was held to her chest by cloth. “Is this my great nephew?”

Ella nodded, smiling. “His name is Ned.”

“Good name.” Stannis said, before they began walking again to Riverrun.

“Do you have any news?” Ella asked. “I know nothing of the last few months, and even before that.”

Stannis grimaced. “I cannot tell you all of it, but the war was going well, and it still is in our favor for now, but tensions have been high since we heard of your death.”

“The false account of my death.” Ella corrected.

“As for your Robb Stark...”

“What of him? How is he faring?”

“I do not know. I have refused to see him since the false account of your death.”

“Why?” Ella asked. “What happened?”

“Much has changed, Ella, I cannot tell you more.” Stannis said. “That is up to Robb Stark.”

“Why do you say his name like that?” Ella asked.

“You will too.” Stannis told her.

Ella’s blood went cold. “What happened?”

“It is not for me to say.”

They rode in silence the rest of the way. Ella’s heart beats slowly rose higher as they made it closer to the castle walls, and spiked as they entered them.

A whole horde was there, waiting for her. Robb was at the head, flanked by his mother and a girl with brown hair. She wasn’t a beauty, though she wasn’t ugly either. Ella did not recognize her. Renly was one of the first to step forward, and give Ella a hand to get off the horse as Sansa, Bran, Arya, and Rickon all ran to their mother.

Renly hugged her. “I didn’t know how much I loved you until I thought you were gone.”

“Do I still need to blackmail you, then?” Ella asked.

He pulled away to kiss her forehead. “No.” He looked down. “Is this my great-nephew?”

Ella nodded. “Yes.” She took her son out of his little carrier.

Renly took him. “He has your eyes.”

Ella smiled as she nodded. 

Renly gave him back, and put his arm around her. “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for this.”

“What is going on?” She whispered as he led her forward, towards her husband, who did not rush towards her and hug her, but instead kneeled before her, his head bowed, as did everyone in front of her.

“Robb.” Ella said, feeling even more concerned. “What is going on? Do you want to see your son?” She could feel Stannis come stand beside her on her other side, flanking her.