Chapter 22: Catnip

“Jeyne wants you to have tea with her.” Catelyn told her.

Ella looked at the closest thing she had to a mother. “Would you have tea with her?”

“Woman to woman?” Catelyn weighed her head back and forth. “She’s more likely to show her true colors to you than anyone else. It could be educational.”

“I’m not trying to get Robb back.”

“You don’t have to, Ella. He’s been running towards you since he saw you.” Catelyn replied.

“Do you know if she’s pregnant?” Ella asked.

“I know she’s trying to get pregnant.” Catelyn replied.

“And Robb?”

“He just wants you.”

XXX

“Hello, Queen Ella.” Jeyne curtsied.

Ella wore a dress that made her look regal. Violet with gold clasps on the front. She wore the crown her uncle had made when he proclaimed himself king. It was masculine, but just by wearing it, Ella made it look more feminine. It sat halfway down her forehead. Her hair was down, a black curtain down her back. Her chin was held high, and her features schooled into a neutral expression. Renly had sent Brienne to stand as Ella’s guard during this. He and Ella had spoken about how she should act. Let Jeyne take the first sip of tea. Pretend to sip the tea, still. Do not eat anything. Do not trust. Ella was a game changer. Jeyne would be better off without her in the picture; no one to compete with for Robb’s affections.

“Jeyne.” Ella said as she sat on one of the cushioned couches.

“Thank you for having tea with me.” Jeyne said.

“I thought I should at least meet you.” Ella said. “I don’t always trust what people say about each other.” 

“Thank you, your grace.” Jeyne stood, and poured two cups of tea from a painted tea pot, handing Ella one of the cups in a saucer, before sitting down opposite Ella. 

“How do you feel being out of the Westernlands? I’m sure your family misses you.”

“I follow my husband.” Jeyne said simply. “We tried to get him to stay, but he said he had to see you.”

“I am his queen.” Ella said, keeping her temper in check. “I called for my high lords. He is lord of Winterfell.”

“Yes, and he also loves you.” Jeyne took a sip of her tea. “I saw you kiss him in the hall.”

Ella raised her eyebrows, challenging her to say something.

“Why does he love you?” Jeyne asked. “What did you do?”

“Am I the first person you asked this?” Ella asked her.

“No.” Jeyne said, looking down.

“What did the others say?”

“They said that you existed.” Jeyne told her. “What did you do? How did you please him?”

Ella licked her lower lip as she smiled incredulously. She should be able to keep a civil face on, but in truth she blamed this girl as much as she blamed Robb. Robb didn’t rape her--Ella did not believe her could have if he wanted to, he wasn’t cruel. Jeyne was a willing participant. And everyone knew that Robb was married to Ella Baratheon. 

“Have you tried laying on your back--oh yes, that’s how you got here.” Ella said. “Do not insult me and say that he loved me because I warmed his bed. If anything, he warmed mine.”