Chapter 16: Goodbye

“How did you get him to agree so quickly?” Jon asked as they rode back to the Northerner’s camp.

“I am his favorite niece.” Ella replied. “I have a special place in his heart; he just needed reminding of that.”

XXX

Ella sat around a map of Westeros with Lord Karstark, Lord Bolton, Ser Roderick, Jon, Theon Greyjoy, and Robb as she told them of the plan her and her uncles had spoken of.

“Right now there is a Lannister army here.” She pointed to Harrenhall. “Very large. The Mountain is there. Get him out of the way and it will make everything much easier. Their plan is we come from the North, Renly from the East and Stannis from the South. At the very least we can push them back into the Westernlands. With our numbers, the odds are very much in our favor.”

“All of our men in one place?” Karstark asked. “That is not wise.”

“No, not all of them. Stannis has ships that are at his call. Renly will only be sending half of his men. And half of the Northern men will stay here. There is a chance that the Lannisters may try to take the Riverlands, and we cannot let that happen. Robb will lead the attack on Harrenhall.” 

“Why not someone more expirenced?” Karstark asked.

“He has not lost a single battle, my lord. He is also the only one I trust to do what is right with the prisoners you take.” Ella looked up. “Does everyone understand this plan?”

“I have a question.” Theon said.

“Does anyone else have a question?” Ella asked, rolling her eyes.

“Why will you not take my question?”

“Because obviously you are going to say something about my sex and I am saving you from the embarrassment of saying it.” Ella told him. “But if you want to ask your question, I always love a good laugh at a man’s stupidity.”

Theon raised his hands in surrender. “Retract claws please.”

Ella ignored him. “Does everyone else understand?”

“Yes, your grace.” Lord Karstark said.

“When will this take place?” Lord Bolton asked.

“A month.” Ella told him. “That should give everyone time to prepare.”

XXX

“I want to talk to you.” Robb said. “Before you leave for Winterfell.”

“Don’t worry. I haven’t had any tea lately.” Ella replied as she packed her things for her journey in three days. Her stomach was rounding out now as she reached the halfway mark of her pregnancy.

“I’m sorry for what I said, Ella.” Robb told her. “I truly am. I was far out of line. Just as I was to give you an order. You are my wife not a servant. I beg you to forgive me. I haven’t been able to sleep since you left. I haven’t been able to eat. Please, forgive me. I will do anything you want. I just don’t want you to leave me when we are fighting.”

Ella closed her eyes. “I hate fighting with you.”

“I hate fighting with you. I was wrong. I was so wrong.” He took her hands in his, and she let him.

“I forgive you. We were both a little riled up.” Ella said.

“I didn’t mean what I said.”