Chapter 21: I Hate You

Jon held her while she cried, and when she was done, they just laid in bed together. Jon wasn’t going to be the one to speak first. Ella would have to be. She would have to be the one to say something.

“How did you find out?”

“The same moment you did.” Jon told her. “But I stayed around for the aftermath.”

“What happened?” Ella asked.

“Everyone just sort of left. Sansa, Bran, Arya and Rickon went with Catelyn, and I went to talk to Robb.” Jon said.

Ella looked at Jon for a moment. “What did you hear?”

“Robb would have lost the war if it wasn’t for you.” Jon told her. “Your uncles are furious, but I guess you already know that. She doesn’t seem to smart, but if I’ve learned anything from you, she could be faking it.”

“I don’t know what to do, Jon.” Ella whispered.

“I don’t know what you should do either, Ella.” Jon held her tighter. “I don’t know how he could do this to you. I didn’t think he could be this stupid.”

“But who is he married to?” Ella asked. “Who is the mistress and who is the wife?”

“Even if you are no longer his wife, you are the queen.” Jon told her. “You will always be the queen. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are less than that.”

“I am meeting with the high lords tomorrow.” Ella told him. “If you are not there I will never forgive you.”

“Like I’m going to leave you alone right now.” Jon said. “What kind of friend would I be?”

“Not a very good one, I guess.”

XXX

“She’s asleep.” Jon said softly.

“And what are you doing here if she is?” Robb demanded quietly. “I have to see her, don’t get in my way, Jon.”

“Do you know what we’ve gone through to get here? What she’s gone through?” Jon replied. “She didn’t even hear you knocking. She’s still asleep. She’s exhausted and needs her rest. You can see her in the morning.”

“I need to tell her.” Robb said. “I need to tell her everything.”

“She already knows.” Jon told her. “Everyone’s told her what they know.”

“But she doesn’t know it from me! I should have told her.”

“And you told her enough. Your wife told her enough.” Jon told him. “Let her be.”

“You are my brother, will you not help me with this.”

“She is my sister as well, Robb.” Jon told him. “I will do what is best for her, and what she needs right now is some sleep. Let her sleep.”

“Are you sure she is not more than a sister to you?” Robb snapped. “Because I’ve never seen you in Arya or Sansa’s room in the dead of night.”

“Neither of them have had husbands marry another woman.” Jon answered.

“Jon?” Ella groaned, feeling the empty bed beside her before sitting up and seeing two shadows by the door. “Jon?”

“Go back to sleep, Ella. This can be taken care of in the morning.” Jon said, his voice softer when he spoke to her.

Ella paused, not moving. “Robb?” She could feel his presence near her.