Chapter 3: A Lover's Quarrel

“What do you want to talk about?” Ella asked, her hands folded on front of her, her head tilted to the side.

“It’s obvious you do not want to marry me. I want to know why.”

“Are you saying you want to marry me? The first time you heard something come out of my mouth, I insulted you.” Ella stated.

“Maybe no one has done that before.”

Ella rolled her eyes. “Of course they didn’t. You’re next in line for Winterfell. You will be just as honorable and respected as your father.” Though her words seemed like they should flatter him, she said it in such a way that they could not.

“Are you trying to pick a fight?” He asked. 

“No.” Ella said, her eyes snapping back to him. “Just saying things that come into my head. I’m sorry. That was rude.”

“I’ve heard worse things come out of your mouth just a little earlier today.” Robb told her.

“Are you going to use that against me forever? I was just told that I would marry. I am upset that I was never asked what I thought. How I would feel to live here the rest of my life. I should have known it was decided the moment that my father saw a son around my age.” Ella said honestly. “I am sorry that I was offensive. I don’t want to be married to anyone. Don’t take it personally.”

“How can I not? I am the northerner to condemn you here.” He stated.

“And I am the girl to condemn you to a marriage.” Ella replied. “We are equals in this. I doubt you want to me married any more than I want to be married.”

“I am not as adverse to it as you are, obviously.” Robb stated. “Everyone knew that it would happen eventually. It is how lives progress.”

“I was still in the dreamland of being queen one day.” Ella told him honestly. “I don’t know what you want to happen out of this talk. Do you think that we’re going to go to our father’s after this and they’re going to say I don’t have to marry you? You don’t have to marry me?”

“Am I that repulsive to you?” Robb asked.

“Don’t take it personally.” She told him again. “I would probably like you well enough if I weren’t bound to you.”

“So you hate me on principal?”

“Don’t you hate me on principal as well?” Ella asked, looking a bit confused as she tilted her head to the side.

He shook his head slowly. “No.”

“Well perhaps you should.” Ella replied quietly. “I’d make your life a living hell.”

“Because you hate me?”

“Because it is in my nature. Have you seen my mother? My father? They get a kick out of getting the other upset.” Ella told him. “Don’t tell me that you do not think we will not be the same.”

“I cannot promise that.” Robb agreed. “But I do have the fantasy of actually getting along with my wife.”

“I have had no fantasies of marriage.” Ella said. “I have never seen a successful one.”

“So you do not believe we can get along because you have never seen it happen? Where is your faith?”

“In you? I don’t even know you.” She stated. “Don’t talk to me like you know me, either. We just met.”

“And what of yourself? Have you no faith in yourself?” Robb asked, ignoring her last command.

“What would you like to hear, Robb?” Ella asked. “I was taken from my home and brought here, and then I was told I would stay here until my death. I was told I would marry a stranger. I am sure the last part you were told as well. Never asked how we felt about it. Never asked if we had spoken. Never asked if we hated each other. I doubt my father even cared...and I’m his favorite child. I bet your father told you with a frown on his face, and told you that he cannot disobey the king. That I am beautiful and will give you many healthy children. All the generic things that fathers tell their sons, though they do not know any of this.”

Ella saw the boy in front of her smirking at her. Why was he looking at her like that? He was supposed to be annoyed. He was supposed to look at her with hate. Not with amusement.

“Stop that.” She commanded.

“Stop what?” He asked.

She gestured to him. “That. Stop smirking like that. It’s making me comfortable.”

“It’s not a smirk, it’s a smile.” He told her. “Why does it make you uncomfortable? Does no one smile where you come from?”

“Not the people who are honest.” Ella replied. “Smiles mean lies.”

“Perhaps in the South. Not the North.” He told her. “We live in different worlds.”

She took a step towards him, trying to get in his face. This always worked to her favor. People would rarely stood against her, not when she stood like her mother, her fierce blue eyes stared into his. Her eyes were like the stormy seas off the coast of the Stormlands. She did look fierce. Yet Robb still stood there smiling. She wanted to wipe it off his face.

“Sex is your weapon, Ella.” Cersei had told her after she flowered. “Be sure to use it.”

She grabbed Robb by his collar and kissed him. It wasn’t a loving kiss, or a sweet one, it was all anger. She was furious. Robb kissed her back, still. His hands pulling her small waist towards him, though she had already pressed herself against him, trapping him between her and a wall.

She pushed him away from her to draw a breath. “Maybe I could marry worse.” She said, a little breathless. “But I will tell you something now, if I get a chance to get the Iron Throne, I will take it.”

Robb looked throughly surprised by the girl. Not just from her kiss but from her words. “Would that make me king?” 

“But I will be the one seated on the swords.” She told him. “It is my place, not yours.” She turned, leaving him alone in the corridor.

It took everything Robb had to not grab her and kiss her again.

It took everything Ella had not to turn around and kiss him again...as far as kisses went...that was probably the best first kiss she had ever had with someone. 

Ella did not know if that was a good thing or not.