Chapter 23: Targaryan

“A letter has arrived, your grace.” Said Maester Vyman, the maester of Riverrun as Ella broke fast with Sansa and Catelyn. Sansa’s hair had gone back to it’s normal copper color now, which the girl was happy about. The other Starks--besides Robb--were all already practicing with their swords. Even little Rickon.

Ella took it from him, and saw a dragon seal. “Targaryan.” She told Sansa and Catelyn who were looking at her intently. She tore the seal open, and read the contents. It confused her; the letter was written in Jon’s writing, and it bore his name at the bottom.

“Well?” Sansa asked. 

“Daenerys Targaryan wishes to meet with me.” Ella told them. “It will take place on the next full moon.” She looked up. “At Dragonstone.” 

“When do you leave?” Catelyn asked. 

“As soon as I can. Even if I get there early, I would rather be that than late, at least this time I will have guards with me.”

“Will you take Ned?” Catelyn asked.

Ella nodded. She didn’t trust leaving him here with Jeyne, even if she knew Ned’s grandmother would die to protect him. “In case she needs reminding of the children we could save by allying our forces.”

“You are also saying that because everyone has a soft spot for a young child.” Sansa stated.

Ella smiled at Sansa. “Well I hope they do, I plan to put it to a test.”

XXX

“Renly, utilize Robb.” Ella told him when she was saying her farewells in the courtyard of Riverrun. “He is very good in battle, even if he needs to be reigned in sometimes, but he only wants the war over.”

Renly hugged her. “Are you still going through with your plan?”

Ella nodded, bumping her chin against her uncle’s shoulder. “Yes.”

Renly pulled away. “I will see you in King’s Landing.”

“Yes, you will. Send word when you hear from Stannis.” Ella told him, walking to the last person she was to say goodbye to; Robb.

“I’m going to miss you.” Robb told her.

If only you knew...

“I will miss you too.” She told him honestly. “I wrote you a letter. Sansa will give it to you when I tell her to.”

“How will you tell her to? You will be in Dragonstone.”

“Raven.” Ella told him.

“Why can you not tell me now?”

“Because it has to do with what the Targaryan agrees to.” Ella told him. “Goodbye, Robb. Promise me to take care of yourself.”

He nodded. “As long as you do.” 

Ella smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. She turned and walked towards her horse, a black stallion, and mounted. The wet nurse gave Ned to Ella, he would be a year old by the time the war ended, but his title would not change. Prince Eddard. He would remain a prince. Always.

XXX

“Ella!” Jon cried, hugging Ella as she slipped off her horse.

“Careful!” She told him. “Don’t crush, Ned.”

“How could I? He’s my favorite little cousin.” Jon said, taking Ned from her and raising Ned above Jon’s head.