Chapter 17: Winterfell

“Hello, your grace, I am Loraine.” Said a woman of at least forty years. She had a kind face and dark hair that was just beginning to gain grey. One of the midwives that would be helping her. “I am the lead midwife. This is my apprentice, Elena. With your permission, she will be assisting me.”

“Of course.” Ella said. “Are there others as well?”

“Yes, all specializing in different things. One for labor and will help you with your contractions, another for the afterbirth, and another to help you learn how to nurse your child.”

“And you?”  Ella asked. 

“I will help you through the birth.” Loraine said. “I have delivered hundreds of children successfully, including Lord Rickon and Lady Arya.”

“Lady Catelyn suggested you to me.” Ella told her. “I would like to speak with you and all of my midwives if I can.”

“Anything you like, your grace.” Loraine said.

“Good. Could you all come for tea a week from today?” Ella said.

“Yes. I will see to it all of us can make it.” Loraine replied.

Ella smiled. “Good.”

XXX

“What are you going to name the child if it is a girl?” Sansa asked as she and Ella had tea one day.

Ella paused for a moment. “Lilliana, I guess. It was what we were going to name our previous child if it was a girl. Though, I may change my mind by the time he or she gets here.”

“What do you want it to be?” Sansa asked.

“As long as my baby is healthy, I’m fine.” Ella told her. “But can you imagine dressing the child? I’m going to have too much fun with that.”

“Would the aunt be allowed to dress the child as well?” Sansa asked.

“Oh, we can do it together.” Ella told her. “Some sister bonding time, but only after they start walking. Can you imagine how cute it will be all wobbly?”

Sansa smiled. “Yes, I can’t wait. And after the war you can put a little crown on the little prince or princess.”

“A little prince or princess.” Ella paused, wondering if her mother ever said this about her. Did her mother ever have any plans for her? Ever dream of dressing her in clothes? Ella wondered if her mother had if things would have been different between them. Ella always thought that Cersei loved her, but Ella wasn’t sure anymore.

Ella would always love her child, and support it no matter what. She would be the best mother. The mother she never had.

XXX

Ella’s stomach was larger than it had ever been. She wanted the baby out. She wanted to have her body back and not have the aches and pains that she had while pregnant. Waking up in the middle of the night when the baby was kicking wasn’t fun either. 

The midwives told her that she was due any day, but Ella could not figure out why it hadn’t happened yet. She wanted to get it over with. She wanted her baby in her arms, not in her womb. She wanted to see if it was a boy or girl, and name the child accordingly. She just wanted her child.

“You look like you’re about to burst.” Jon told her as he helped her from a chair late one night. Everyone else had already gone to bed.

“Be quiet, Jon.” Ella told him. “I like you, I would rather not bite you right now.”