Chapter 28: The Call

Ella was able to get a craftsman to construct a brace to keep Ned on her back as she rode, almost like one would wear a pack on their back. He wouldn’t be able to get out until someone helped him, or Ella took him out herself. It was simple enough to make, and the man finished it in a few hours.

She also sent a raven to Riverrun, telling them she would have to stay the night there, and to not make any fuss over them. They just needed some rest, and probably some food. 

Ella wore the armor that the Martell’s had given her for the ride. She didn’t know how safe things could have gotten in the last six months since the end of the war, but she knew better than to think she would not need her bow and arrows. Even when things were peaceful people were attacked.

Daenerys saw them off, and wished them luck.

“Now, if you do take him back,” Daenerys said. “You must have the wedding here. We will marry you in all ways possible.”

Ella laughed. “It’s too soon to think of that. It will take a long time to even think of that.”

“You would be surprised.” Daenerys told her.

“If you and Jon get married, I better be invited.” Ella told her. “I will never forgive you if you do not.”

“You are the princess, of course you will be.” Daenerys said. “Stay safe, cousin.”

“And you, my queen.” Ella smiled, before hugging the young queen. 

Daenerys dropped a kiss on Ned’s head while he was in his carrier. He was excited to ride a dragon, which he called a “dwaga.”

Ella hoped Ned would not be frightened; he had not seemed to be frightened of anything yet, except the dark.

Ella seated herself in the dragon’s saddle, and looked over her shoulder for long enough to see that Jon had leaned down to kiss Daenerys lightly, and Ella had to look away to hide her grin.

Jon would be teased when they made it to Riverrun.

XXX

“I’m sorry I killed your uncle.” Edmure Tully told Ella the moment she dismounted from her dragon.

“He knew he was going to die no matter what.” Ella told him, her face blank. She refused to imagine this man cutting off Jaime’s head; she could never forgive him if she did. “He just made his death mean something to me.”

“You’re going to Winterfell.” Edmure nodded. 

“How long ago did it happen?”

“Months. Robb went to take care of the Iron Islanders and left her here to stay safe. The day we got the message that you won the battle was the night that Jeyne was strangled. I only let him write the letter because I knew it would go to you.” Edmure explained.

Ella nodded slowly. “And I thank you for that. His bones are on the way to Casterly Rock. He will be put to rest.”

“And you have come to take your place as queen.” Edmure stated.

Ella shook her head. “It is much more complicated. I believe Ned should know his father, don’t you?” 

“Of course.” Edmure agreed as they walked inside.

Jon took Ned out of his little carrier, and held the little boy in one arm. He was already asleep for the night. 

“If you like I can have one of the servants put him to bed while we speak.” Edmure offered the princess.