Chapter 18: Iron Islanders

Ella stayed in bed for two weeks after she gave birth to heal. Her child only leaving her to be passed around by his aunts and uncles.

“He is so beautiful.” Sansa told her, as she held the baby in her arms. It was just the girls today; the boys were making sure that everything would be done around the castle. “He has your eyes.”

Ella smiled. “I think he looks like Robb. At least I like to believe that he does.”

“I think he does.” Arya agreed. “It’s like we have our own little Robb here while Robb is in the war.”

Ella’s smile turned sad. “Yes. He will be a good reminder to have around. But the war should be over soon...or at least I hope it will be.

Baby Ned started crying.

“What’s wrong?” Sansa asked the baby, starting to rock him.

“He’s probably hungry.” Ella said, holding her arms out for her child. She felt a little better with her child back on her arms as she unlaced her dress to nurse her child. “See?”

“How do you know like that?” Arya asked.

“I don’t know.” Ella said honestly. “I guess my mother did it with Myrcella when she was a baby. She was good with babies. Back then, we needed her as much as she needed us.”

“Do you miss your mother?” Sansa asked.

“I used to.” Ella told her honestly. “But not anymore. I missed her for the first month, but I don’t want her near me anymore. She will not be welcome in my kingdoms when we win the war.”

“How can you go from loving to hating her in a year?” Arya asked.

“There’s only so much you can handle from someone you love, Arya. I hope you never have to find out about that.” Ella told her.

XXX

“If we get my father’s ships to attack Lannisport we could surround them and make them yield.” Theon told Robb. “Let me go to my father. He will listen to me. I’m his only son.” 

“What would he want in return? He has no love for mine or Ella’s family.” Robb replied. 

“Give him the Iron Islands. They are a small part of the country, and it will make the war end quicker.” Theon said. “It will be finished sooner than it would without them. You will be back with your wife, and you can finally see your son.”

Robb paused, remembering what Ella said about Iron Islanders. They were not to be trusted. But Ella didn’t know them. She didn’t like Theon either, and that could be clouding her judgement.

“Can you do on your own?” Robb asked him.

“Yes. I’ll get to a ship and send a raven when he agrees to the plans.”

“I will have the agreement ready by morning.” Robb told him. “Let us end this war.”

XXX

Ella walked with her child in her arms, getting some fresh air. The air was cooling. Ella could tell that fall was already here, and winter was on its way. Winters were harsh, and even worse to fight in. The war would have to be over soon, otherwise both sides would suffer in the ruthless cold that was coming.

She was beginning to get her body back, which she was happy about. She had missed it for the last few months. Her baby was starting to crawl, and his wet nurse was rather surprised that the queen would barely put her baby down, she didn’t even try to figure out why.