Chapter 15: Would-be Father Would-be Daughter

“You knew I would come.” Ella said.

“You look like a Stark.” He said, nodding to the wolf who stood beside her, almost like he was protecting her.

“I’ve been married to one for the better part of a year.” Ella told him. 

“Does it hurt you to betray your family? Or did it come as easy as breathing?” Jaime asked her. “I always expected more out of you than that. You were the good one.”

“I was betrayed first.” Ella told him. “Or has your lover not told you what she did to me?”

“My lover?”

“My mother.” Ella clarified.

“What did she do to you? Hit you once? Twice? Every parent hits their child at some point.” Jaime paused. “Where’s your kid? I thought you’d be ready to give birth by now.”

“Your sister poisoned me. She slipped me moon tea without telling me. She killed my child.”

True surprise crossed Jaime’s features.

“She didn’t tell you.” Ella said. “I guess she knew it wasn’t a good thing to do. I’m sure she would have told you.”

“How do you know she did it?”

“Evidence points to her.” Ella said. 

“How long ago?”

“A bit over a month before Ned Stark was arrested.” Ella told him.

“I’m so sorry, Ella.” He was sincere when he said this. She would see it in his eyes that were illuminated by the moonlight. “I know you wanted that child.”

“I did.” Ella said.

“I hope you have another, Ella.” Jaime told her. “You would be a good mother.”

Ella paused. “I’m pregnant again.” She told him. 

“Congratulations.” He told her. “I would hug you...but...” He nodded to his chains. “I doubt I will see you again. I will be killed soon.”

“I don’t want you to be.”

“But your husband will make sure I pay for my crimes, just as you make sure your mother will pay.” Jaime said. “Does your husband even know that you are here?”

Ella shook her head. “He forbade me to come.”

Jaime smiled slightly. “He should have known better than to do that. That means you have to come now.”

“And here I am.”

“Here you are.”

“Jaime, can you tell me of Grandfather’s plans?” She asked.

His face hardened. “That’s why you came. You want to know our weaknesses.”

“I want a quick war before winter comes.” Ella replied. “I know we are nearing the end of summer. We should prepare for winter.”

“You’re starting to speak like a Stark as well.” Jaime said. “I will not betray the family.”

“Like I have?” Ella asked. “Like your sister has? The world is full of betrayers. Help us and you can live, Jaime.”

“And watch my sister die?”

“I do not plan to kill her.” Ella told him. “I plan to exile her.”

“And take her children away from her?”

“She can keep Joffery.”

“She will kill herself. You give her a fate as good as death.” Jaime said. “Your mother will kill herself as you make it through the gates.”