chapter two

Saw You In A Dream - The Japanese House

Itsafaf i only love you enough to put songs at the front of every chapter😔<33
------------------------------------

Monday 13th May, 2019

I rushed into school.

The office had been easy enough to find. A few nice students had been more than willing to show me the way.

A purple-haired, plump office lady handed me a map, with the necessary buildings circled according to my schedule, which was also handed over. "But, honey," she said, "it's always assembly before lessons."

"Assembly?"

She nodded, "yes. Main hall. It's circled."

Then a few more students piled in, forcing me out. Now every white-floored hallway looked the same, lined with classroom doors and dark brown lockers. There was nobody milling around; nobody to grab and ask for directions. A sweat was breaking out on my forehead, and I shoved my glasses further up my nose as I rounded a corner.

And stopped. Two large oak doors were closing. Lurching forward, I managed to jam my arm between them with a gasp; they swung open, revealing two wide-eyed teachers, mild disapproval written across their faces.

"The new girl?" One of them asked, a grey-haired, bushy-eyebrowed man. I nodded quickly. "There's an empty seat over there," he said, pointing to an empty chair in the aisle, three rows from the back. I hurried to it, sitting down without much noise. That's when I saw them.

The tapestries. They lined every wall, some bursting with colour, others black as night. All praising, sending religious messages. They were so intricate, weaved and knitted, huge and hanging from the ceilings. When I could tear my eyes away, they landed on something at the front of the vast hall, in the middle. Suddenly the blue plastic chair I was sat on was very uncomfortable.

A tall, white marble alter stood. Just like in a church. Now that I look, this hall was set up like a church. With a shudder, fighting to urge to run, I watched the headmistress take her place behind it.

I sat, frozen as the realisation washed over me as I got to grips with just how religiously orientated Grove Hill was - extremely. Soon, the headmistress was braced, holy book open, her painted-red lips moving as she recited a passage.

Then, as if they'd all heard a signal, every head in the hall bowed. And the prayer began; every void joining in perfect synchronization. I don't think one person missed a syllable. A religious choir of students. I'd never felt so out-of-place. At least my parents knew better than to drag me to Church with them.

I was trapped. Discomfort was about to swallow me, when I heard that sound. A harsh, cold laugh. The same as before.

My head turned; sure enough, sat on the very back row, there they were. Four of them. Yet, all I could see was one. Black, curly hair stuck up on his head, as wild as his eyes. They were fixed on me; blushing was inevitable. Now, looking into his eyes, I must have misheard the laugh. It wasn't amused at all. It was frustrated; a cold bark of confusion.

I'd expected him to look away in embarrassment at being caught. But he didn't move an inch, eyes getting darker and narrower every second. I realised that he was concentrating. His mouth twisted, wide and strangely soft for such an angular face, with the effort he was making.

The voices sang "amen", louder than before. My gaze tore away to see everyone standing, filing out through the side and back doors. I couldn't feel eyes on me anymore, and when I looked back, he was gone. Not one of his friends remained.