chapter forty-two

author's note -

hi bbies, please vote!!

I'll add more songs onto the previous chapters when I finish :))

If I Lose Myself - Alesso, One Republic

-------------------------------------------------------

Monday 29th July, 2019

Brooke.

Julian pounced.

I watched him with horror-struck eyes as Brendan crashed into the porch fence, his blue eyes round with terror. Julian loomed over him, hand fisted in Brendan's white shirt.

"How dare you touch my girl?" Julian hissed menacingly. Every muscle in his back was tensed, the tips of his curly hair shook. He was seething.

"I--" Brendan started, looking dazed, but a second later Julian had thrown a punch to his jaw. Brendan's blond head snapped to the side, blood dripping from a split lip.

Choking, I stood paralysed.

That was the first blow - more followed. Julian swung at his face again, and again and again, Brendan let out yells of pain, which turned into groans. . .

Julian dragged him back up every time he fell, grunting with effort as he hit him; it was when I saw Julian's fist in the air, knuckles glistening with blood, that I snapped out of the horrified trance.

"Julian!" I screamed, and stumbled over. Weakly, I grabbed at the arm that had Brendan in a choke hold.

He didn't move an inch.

"Never touch her again," he spat, and his fist flew into Brendan's eye. My friend's head cracked against the porch fence behind, and a low, pained groan escaped his bloody lips. "Who the fuck do you think you are? Nobody touches her but me, you hear me? Nobody."

Brendan's blue eyes rolled around, unfocused. His body was limp, held up by Julian's hand.

"Stop!" I shrieked, my mind a panicked flurry as I yanked at Julian. "Stop it, now! Julian! Let go of him!"

Just then, I heard a shout from across the street. "What is going on here!"

I turned, and spotted Sheila's dump body, hands on hips, staring at us from across the street.

"It's okay, Sheila!" My voice was strained.

"Do you want me to call the police?" She threatened.

"No, no!" I was breathless. "That won't be necessary!"

I saw her frown, as if considering her options, before she walked away. Nosy bitch.

Yet, I looked back, and Brendan was slouched against the porch fence, bloody-faced and breathless. I felt sick at the red welts over his face, the dark liquid smeared down his chin.

Julian stood over him, chest heaving up and down. His black hair was dishevelled, eyes narrowed at the helpless boy at his feet.

I grabbed him, "what the fuck are you doing, Julian?!"

"Me?" He pointed down at Brendan. "What the fuck is he doing?"

"I don't know!" I yelled, flinging my arms around. "I have no idea what just happened! But I had it under control!"

"Under control?" Julian scoffed, and faced me properly. "Is that why he was making out with you outside your house?"

"With me?" I gasped. "It was one-sided Julian. There must have been a reason for it--"