chapter six

Friday 31st May, 2019

I spotted the black car shining under the streetlight. A classic.

His classic.

I pointed to it. He looked at me, saw my egg-like lip and nodded. "Yes, we're driving somewhere."

When we reached the car, he pulled the door open for me. That's when I stopped - what the hell was I doing? Why was I getting into a car with someone who literally said it'd be funny to watch me die a couple of days ago?

But that wasn't true anymore, was it? I reminded myself of the fear in his eyes as he watched me getting kicked and slapped.

Ducking inside, the leather seats stuck to my legs. It was perfect inside, shining. Julian strode around the front, slamming the door behind him.

"Bwhere are be gwoing?" I tried to say, the words coming out garbled. A smile twitched at the corner of his mouth.

"A convenience store." He answered flatly, starting the engine and pulling onto the road.

"Bhere's one down bhe sbtreet."

He smiled now, amused.

"Dwon't laugh." I warned.

"Put your seatbelt on."

I wanted to tell him not to go far, but it was too embarrassing to speak. Also, the fury was still in his face, in the set of his jaw, dark brows furrowed.

It was quiet. I knew he could see me looking at him, but I didn't really care. The pain was making me stupid. But he was so beautiful, black curls shining as we passed under a streetlight. Right then, I wanted nothing more than to touch them, to stroke them back from his eyes.

"Have I got something on my face?" He asked, "apart from astoundingly handsome looks?"

"N-no. . ." I stuttered, looking away.

"Just the good looks, then?"

I snorted - at least that didn't hurt my lip. "I don't think so."

"Really?" In his car, the spiced wood smell of him was strong. Heavenly. "You still think I'm hideous."

"Yep," I lied.

"Well," his hands tightened around the steering wheel. "You're not so hot yourself."

I remembered what Brendan said about me being pretty. I knew it was ridiculous. "Bit's all bhe blood."

His laugh filled the car, loud and warm. I looked at him in shock - surely that lovely sound hadn't just come out of Julian's mouth?

His mouth was clamped together. He didn't look happy now - maybe I imagined it.

"I don't think it is."

Turning to look out the window, I found myself wishing he'd seen me before. When I hadn't been crying, when my hair was perfect. Maybe he would have thought I looked pretty then.

But I pushed the thought away. Someone like him could never find me even remotely attractive. Just then, I caught my reflection in the rear view mirror.

"Shib!" I yelped.

"What?"

"You're bright! I'm bnot hot at all! Look bat me!"

He was looking, amusement bright in his eyes.

"Ugh! Do you bhave a brush?"

Julian stared at me, then looked up. I saw his hair, a tangled mess. Of course he didn't brush it.