chapter forty-six

author's note -

this is trash, sorry bbies :((

Only One - Carlie Hanson

--------------------------------------

Saturday 3rd August, 2019

I opened my eyes, and the first thing I registered was the sunlight streaming, yellow and blindingly bright, through my bedroom window.

I shielded my face, and when I blinked out the light, I saw him. Julian was sat on my desk chair, facing the bed, face like stone.

My stomach clenched. "Hi," I croaked, and winced at the ache in my throat.

"You're up." His voice was flat.

"Yeah. . ."

Julian didn't move - his dark eyes were narrowed slightly. "Are you mad?" I asked.

"No, I'm not mad. I'm furious."

Uh-oh. . . I pushed my hair back from my face, knowing it looked disgusting, and heaved myself up. I leaned my head on the headboard, and now the sun was out of my eyes I could see him clearly.

"What about?" I picked at the duvet. "Me impaling the vampyre on you? Or making you drink my blood?"

"Neither."

"What is it, then?"

"I need you to listen to me carefully," his voice was deadly quiet. I knew what that meant, and braced myself for the outburst.

"I'm listening."

Julian stood up, looming over me at the foot of the bed. "I don't care if I've been poisoned. I don't care if my Father holds me hostage and tortures me. I don't care if I die," his eyes gleamed with anger, "I don't even care if you're the only one who can fucking do something about it! You must never, under any circumstances, let my Father have you. Do you understand me?"

I could tell he was trying to keep the anger reeled in, but his balled fists gave away how hot the fury was under the surface.

And my answer wasn't going to help. "No."

His eyebrows lifted, "no?"

"No. I don't understand."

Julian's chest was heaving, "you threatened to let him have you, Brooke. Never say that again. Don't even think about it. You know if you go to my Father, you'll end up dead!"

I was fully awake now. "Better me than you!"

"No, Brooke, it's the other fucking way around!"

"No, it's not." I yelled back, panting. "If I die, nothing has to happen. If I die, then there doesn't have to be a war! It's probably better that way."

There. I'd said it. The fact I was the cause of all this danger and paranoia was never lost on me - I knew getting rid of me would get rid of everything else, and everyone would be safe. Julian would be safe.

I sat back, and looked up at Jule. He'd froze, and was staring at me, dark eyes glazed over. The colour had drained from his face.

"Is that what you think?" He whispered.

"It's what I know."

"You don't know anything," he hissed at me. "Because if you die, I'll start a damn war myself."

We stared at each other for a moment, both refusing to back down.

"With who?" I snorted. "Your Father?"