chapter twenty-four

Saturday 15th June, 2019

His eyes dimmed for a second, as he registered the emotion in mine.

I looked away. Just watching him; it made my anger flare. My eyes met Brendan's over the table; he shook his head slightly in disbelief.

"Has everyone decided what they're having?" Holly asked, looking up from the menu. Her gaze landed on something behind us, and she froze.

Everyone looked. I didn't dare - I knew what they were seeing. Four boys, who'd just been watching a romance in the cinema and were now at a diner, looking more out of place than a skyscraper in the middle of the sea.

"What are they doing here?" Hissed Amy.

My face was on fire. "Just ignore them," I muttered.

Then, a waitress in a pretty, frilly dress appeared at the end of our table. Her sparkly blue eyes were kind. "What can I get for you guys?"

It was a moment before anyone spoke. Then, there was flurry of voices and orders. I got water, and that was all. I felt sick.

"Is that all you're getting?" Jordan asked. "You didn't eat the chocolate and sweets before either."

I smiled weakly. "I'm fine."

He dropped it. I felt better when conversation started, but I had to force my eyes from wandering behind Amy's head, opposite me. Two booths down, he sat facing me, staring.

"Do you feel like you're settled in now, Brooke?" Holly asked me as the waitress set down all of their food.

I nodded, "sure. You guys have helped so much."

"Aw," Amy said, "cutie."

"No, really, guys," I looked at them all, a burst of gratitude in my chest. "Thank you."

They all smiled, and tucked into their food before it cooled down. I gulped water, wishing the sick feeling would leave me. With no conversation to jump into, it was harder to distract myself. I felt his eyes on me, heavy. I had a moment of weakness, and looked his way.

Julian's dark eyes were already on me. His wide mouth curled into a smirk when he caught me looking. The smirk told me that he knew - he knew how difficult it was to keep from watching him.

The air was pressing on me, and suddenly the booth felt too small.

Panicked, I pushed my clammy hands together. "I'm just going to the loo," I said in a whisper.

"Are you--"

"I'm fine," I smiled at Amy. "All that water!"

They didn't look convinced, but I left anyway. Darting to the back corner of the diner, I pushed open the crimson door, rushing down the bright hallway and then into the ladies room.

Locking, myself in a stall, I sat down on the toilet and breathed. In through my nose, out through my mouth. My chest was clenching, and I braced my shaking hands on my knees.

Even though I was dizzy, I could see his face in my head, Brendan's confused eyes, Holly asking why they're here.

I told myself I could handle it. But it really felt like I was falling apart at the seams.

Just then, the door opened and closed. Heavy footsteps followed, but they seemed too rough to be a woman's--

"Brooke?"

I froze on the seat. That smooth voice, instantly familiar. . . What the hell was he doing in here?

I stayed still, afraid any movement could alert him to me.