chapter eighteen

Monday 10th June, 2019

Julian.

I let the door fall closed behind me.

It led into a small room, more home-like than the rest of the club. The cream walls, oak floors and burgundy couches centred around a coffee table were specifically designed for business meetings.

Bleu flopped down on the couch. "Why are you fucking around, Julian?"

Daniel stood behind the couch, wary. "Is it really this serious, man?"

"Why else would I have dragged you in here?"

Bleu snorted. "To get away from your tag-along?"

Anger lit up inside me. "What?"

"Come on, man," Daniel whined, "how long are you going to play with her?"

My hands balled into fists. "I'm not playing with her. And if you two don't shut the fuck up, you'll be walking out of here with one leg instead of two."

That shut them up. I wasn't in the mood - I was already irritated - Brooke didn't trust me? Really?

I had no right to expect her to, I knew that. But still. . .

"What did you want to tell us?" Bleu asked.

"Something's happened."

Daniel's eyebrows rose. "What's up?"

"Brooke was attacked."

"Not by you?" Bleu smirked.

"Fuck off," I snapped. "No. But by one of us."

"What do you mean?" Daniel moved to sit down, finally taking it seriously. "Us?"

I stayed standing. "A vampyre."

"The fuck?" Bleu sat up straight. "And she's still alive?"

My mouth twisted into a snarl, eyes on Bleu. Could he stop being such a dick? I was the strongest out of all of them - he was better watching himself.

"Yes."

"How?" Daniel asked. "That's. . ."

"Crazy? I know." I went and sat down opposite them, clasping my hands together in between my knees. "She stabbed him."

Bleu coughed. "She what?"

"You're kidding!"

I felt the tiniest bit smug at their reaction. They'd underestimated her, like I had. "She stabbed him while he strangled her."

"Strangled? Not bite?" Daniel was as confused as I'd been.

"Yes. Because the intention isn't to kill her."

"Excuse me?"

I sighed, "it's my fault."

"You just said you didn't attack her."

"I didn't," it was a growl. "It wasn't someone we know. But someone we know sent them."

"What bullshit are you spewing, Julian?" Bleu snapped.

"She might be the True Atheist." I reminded them.

"We know." Daniel leaned forward. "But that shouldn't be a problem."

"Yeah," Bleu added, "it doesn't make sense that someone came for her unless. . ."

Both of their eyes lit up when they realised what I'd done. The shame, an unfamiliar emotion, flooded me. I felt heavy, weighed down.