chapter three

Lucky Strike - Troye Sivan

-----------------------------------------

Tuesday 14th May, 2019

I woke up the next morning with a jolt.

Groaning, I realised I'd fallen asleep with my clothes still on. Even my shoes, cramped in trainers, were still on. Last night flashed in my head; fire, blood, black curly hair, snarling lips. That one word, "me".

Mother hadn't been too happy about me coming home later than expected, especially looking as sweaty and shaken as I did. But even as I lay on my bed, the door shut tight, sprawled and staring at the ceiling, sleep wouldn't come. I'd tied my hair back, untied it and tied it again. Cleaned my glasses four times.

I couldn't work out if he'd been joking - was there a curfew? What was his name? What had they been doing to that boy? I could only hope my unfortunate bag-dropping meant he'd got away.

Those big, dark eyes haunted me. The way glinted under the streetlamp, almost glowing. . . It seemed abnormal.

I'd fallen asleep with the grim realisation that I might see the four of them - including the curly-haired one - in school tomorrow.

As I got up now, rubbing my eyes, I went to get ready. Ten minutes later, I stood in the mirror and looked. Wavy bronze bob, black round glasses; dark eyes stared back at me, pitifully normal. Not special at all.

I wore brown dungarees, a purple t-shirt underneath. Part of me wanted to go to the desk and put on more make-up, but the other part was trying to make it obvious that I was making no more effort than normal. Not for anyone.

I ate my jam croissant on the way to school again. Crumbs surrounded me, but the tight knot of dread in my stomach made it hard to care. God, what if he came and spoke to me?

Pulling into the car park, I felt more eyes on me than before. Granted, I was driving a bright yellow Beetle, but I was yesterday too! Feeling stupid, I killed the engine and sat there, looking out the windshield, across the lot. When my eyes found what I was looking for, I gulped.

That must be the resident spot. The last row, in the left corner. Two between cars, two sitting on them. Involuntarily, I looked at the curly-haired one. I found his dark eyes, only to see he was already looking straight at me. His lips quirked up in a cruel smile, but I couldn't look away. Like a force was pulling me. . .

A billow of smoke blew across his eyes from the cigarette in his mouth. It set me free.

Cheeks flaming, I leapt from the car, shrugging my backpack on. This time, I avoided them and walked with a row of cars between us. I vowed not to look at him; my heart did stupid things when I did.

I feared for my health.

Speed-walking into school, I pretended I didn't feel eyes on me, gratefully melting into the crowd. They were all headed one way, and I watched the baggy brown bottoms of my dungarees crease as I walked to keep from thinking about where they were headed. These dungarees hid the less-than-smooth shape of my legs marvellously, I mused as I walked.

Taking the same seat in the assembly hall, I looked up at the tapestries and thought, bitterly, how much my parents would adore it here. Too much. More than me.

I put my backpack under the seat, pushing my wild hair behind my ears just as someone sat next to me. I turned to smile.

He was startlingly blond, thin with a strange goatee. "Hello."

"Hi," I replied, voice getting lost in the din.

"You're the new girl, aren't you?"

"Yes," I nodded. "There's more people asking me that today than there was yesterday." There was a cold laugh from behind, all too familiar. I froze, not turning around. Why didn't he just get lost? He told me to stay away from them, so why couldn't he do the same?