chapter twenty-seven

author's note -

hi bbies!! the updates won't be as fast now i'm back at school, but i'll try my best. <33

--------------------------------------------

Thursday 20th June, 2019

Julian.

I focused on Bleu's jeering face.

He knew what I was doing. He knew what I'd been doing since Monday.

Trying not to stare at Brooke.

I'd been free to openly watch her when she first came; it seemed like she barely noticed. I remembered her, unaware of me as she walked around with my eyes on her back, completely uninterested. I remembered the first sparks of impatience, then irritation. I couldn't understand why she didn't look at me, chase after me like all the rest did.

Maybe that's when the obsession began.

Now, things were different. But not different enough to satisfy me.

I glanced over at her, walking quickly to her ridiculously yellow car. I was wise enough to realise she walked like she wanted to burn off 800 calories because she wanted to get away from me.

It was comical, really. I knew exactly what she was up to - she'd told me herself!

Brooke was trying to figure out what I am.

She watched me most of the time; me heightened senses allowed me to know that even when I wasn't looking. Yet, I didn't think I needed them to know this. I would have realised her eyes were on me without them.

I felt the pressure, warm and unmistakeable, on me. Turning slightly, smoke from the cigarette in my mouth obscuring part of my sight, I saw her brown eyes, narrowed at me, and met them.

The suspicion dropped from her face when I did. In true Brooke style, her full lips smiled widely, and she waved at me enthusiastically before diving into her car. Like every night this week, she sat and stared at a black notebook in her hand, sighed and threw it in the seat next to her.

I knew what was in that notebook. Like the creep I was, I'd crept to her car on Tuesday lunch and peered in the window. I hadn't wanted to break into her car in broad daylight; so I was glad to see it open. My sharp eyes read the list in the notebook, stomach curling at what I saw.

She did remember a lot. Little minx.

To her, it probably seemed like nothing - a confusing mess of events. But to me, I felt a shiver through my whole body, a twist inside me I'd never felt before.

This was enough, more than enough, to reveal the truth about what I was. A vampyre.

Daniel snapped me out of my thoughts. "Lover!" He called.

My head jerked back to look at him. "The fuck did you just call me?"

My friend grinned, eyes amused. "Lover."

"Fuck you." I spat.

"Tell her that." Bleu looked Brooke's way, and then threw his annoying ginger head back and cackled.

Irritated, I slid off the bonnet of my 1968 Ford Mustang Cobra Jet 248, and took the cigarette out of my mouth, holding it in my hand. It burned.

"You're cocky bastards, the lot of you." I said, facing them.

"No, you are." Carter spoke up. Surprised, I glanced over at him.

Since I took Brooke to the club, he'd been off with me. I'd thought it was because he didn't approve of me being around her, but lately I had a little drip of doubt in my brain, telling me I might be wrong.