chapter thirteen

author's note -

petition for nice julian back anyone?

----------------------------------

Monday 10th June, 2019

Day 8.

I parked my Mum's car on Monday morning without thinking about it.

I hadn't really thought about anything since the night before. The sun shone through the windshield; luck was not with me today. I'd look like a git walking around with a blue turtle neck and jeans on when everyone else was in t-shirts and skirts.

But I had reason for what I was wearing today.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, but I left it. Last Friday, someone got hold of my number, and the consequences weren't pretty. The whole school sent in what they thought about me over the weekend.

Yet, that wasn't why I was stuck in my head, holding on by a thread. It wasn't even the fact that Julian tripped me up on Friday and walked away from me, crumpled on the floor. It was something worse.

I floated through school; a cold had gripped me, a cold feeling. I couldn't hear the shouts at me in the corridor, couldn't see the hall around me in assembly, couldn't remember stopping at my locker to get books out.

Falling into my seat in first period, I pulled my books out and stared forward. After five minutes, the insults stopped and people left me alone.

In my head, I re-capped Sunday night. . .

I sat in the kitchen, leaving my phone upstairs to get away from it all. It was dark outside, and the clock read 10:15pm. My Mum and Dad were sat in the living room, fixated on the programme. Oblivious to the Hell I was trapped in.

Hungry, I hunted for a certain pasta I was craving, only to find there was none.

"Can I go out?" I asked. "I want to go to the shop."

"At this time?" Mum commented, turning to watch me.

"I'll take my car. Fifteen minutes."

Dad turned. "Julie, she was fine last time. Go, sweetheart."

"Thanks, Dad."

"Take your car. Straight there and back, okay?"

"Gotcha." I smiled, waited for them to turn around. I wasn't such an idiot to go without a weapon nowadays. Opening the drawer, I took out a knife and went to the door, flying to the car.

It seemed too late to see anyone from school, but nerves still fluttered inside. Looking in the rear-view mirror, I was a mess. My hair was dull, tied up in a messy ponytail. There were blue bags under my eyes.

Sighing, I pulled into the empty street.

Going to the store I got the tapes, I was there in ten minutes, parking on the curb. It was bright, white in the dark street. I rushed inside.

Finding the food aisle, I got pasta and some other bits before going to pay. I recognised the young blond boy from last time.

"Tape girl?" He asked, scanning my things.

"That's me."

"You don't look so hot." He commented, eyeing me.

Was I ever hot in the first place? Laughing, I said "thanks".

"Sure." He bagged it all and handed it over.

Ignoring his comment, I walked to the car quickly. The air was chilly tonight, and my pink t-shirt really wasn't ideal.