chapter five

author's note -

I hope you're having a fantastic day. That's all, and if you're enjoying it, please remember to vote and make me super happy :))

-----------------------------------------------------

Friday 31st May, 2019

The plan was that I'd meet them there.

Brendan had wanted to pick me up, but my house was only a few blocks away. I looked up Darcy's Diner on my phone, and was pretty confident that I could find it.

The first thing I did was tell my parents about tutoring.

My Dad seemed unhappy at first. "Do you really have to?" He asked.

"I need to earn money, Dad." I said, to which he frowned. But he didn't press further. My mother did.

"Do you even know who you're tutoring, Brooke? They could be a murderer." She droned.

"His Dad is called Mr Jones, and he's in the same year as me in school. I've probably already met him."

"Do you know his first name?" She asked, stirring a pot on the stove.

"No, not yet. But he wants to start tomorrow, so--"

"Tomorrow!" She yelped, unleashing her frosty eyes on me. "They want you to work on the weekend?"

I sighed - it was never easy with her. "Just this once. Normally it'll be after school."

She tutted, muttering "just this once will turn into every week. . ."

"Julie," my Dad's voice rumbled from the living room couch. "Enough. Brooke can do what she wants. You should be happy she's earning money."

"Thanks, Dad." I called, grateful one of my parents were halfway sane. "I'm going out tonight to celebrate." I shoved in, and then flew to my room.

Now, I looked in the mirror. I'd actually made an effort. My bronze hair was straightened, contacts in instead of glasses. Make-up on, I put more on than usual. I had brown on my lids and pink on my lips, to match the pink t-shirt I had underneath a black pinafore. I couldn't bear to lose the white pumps, though. Stuffing my phone and money into the black jacket pockets, I decided I looked good enough. My hips didn't even look that wide in this outfit, or my boobs too big.

All the things I was struggling to accept.

Downstairs, Mother eyed me. Then, deciding my skirt was long enough to satisfy, she turned away.

"Don't be too late," Dad called.

I hollered back, "I won't," and closed the door behind me.

Walking into town, it was even brighter and louder than I expected. A huge arcade was on my left, flashing neon yellow, pink and blue. Kids buzzed around it.

In the distance, I spied a huge building with white signs above the doors displaying what movies they were shoving. It was crazy - I fell in love.

Down a back road, I caught I glance of more neon signs, but they looked more like clubs and bars. Steering clear, the map told me where Darcy's Diner was, and soon I'd arrived.

It was big, long, with a hot pink sign out front, flashing 'Darcy's Diner', and beneath it 'open'. The glass windows along the front meant I could see the red booths inside, the long counter. Excited, I pushed the door open and found my friends. They all waved me over enthusiastically, squashed into a booth, a table between them.

I slid in next to Amy, Brendan opposite.

He winked. "Nice of you to turn up."

"Sorry," I blushed, "I got distracted on the way here."