Chapter 1: A New Understanding

Despite the teachers hopes, Mark and Luna talked for hours upon end and got to know each other really well. Mark would always try and cheer her up when she was feeling down or hang out with her when she was lonely. It wasn't until Mark gave her his jacket when she was cold and poorly that he noticed just how much of an impact she had over his life, and how when he hung out with her, he would always be so much happier.

They started getting the bus together and walking to school, talking about whatever came to mind. Mark even made more of an effort to hang out and get along with her friends, mainly just so he could hang out with her more. Mark would talk to her at night over the phone, just to hear her voice and check up on her. It had gotten to the point that when her skirt zip broke one maths lesson, he took off his blazer wrapped it around her waist and escorted her to the changing rooms so she could fix it without anyone seeing. Mark would relish any opportunity he had to hug her and feel safe in her warm embrace. They would often be alone together on the bus and just enjoyed each other's company, but Mark was starting to love her more than "just a friend". He started noticing all the intricate details about her life and loving her more for it. For a point in time, he was the only one capable of calming her down when the people around her started teasing and abusing her and took her side over his friends more often than not.

They started to become more intimate to one another, she drew a rose and an eye on his arm to show how much she appreciated him being there for her and that she would always be thinking of him. They held hands whilst walking to and around school. Paul had noticed that Mark liked her when they were hanging out in March and felt bad as he knew that Luna was already in a strong relationship with Sol. It was his compassion for Mark and not wanting to see him get hurt that caused him to tell him this information. Mark instantly felt hurt but being the friend he was, he tried his best to hide his true feelings from her.

They carried on being smitten together, talking, laughing, hugging, it was almost everything Mark wanted. They confided their biggest secrets to each other. Then came exams. Most other people were revising up until the very last second, but as soon as they saw each other on the bus they would just talk and talk, putting life's problems behind them. After exams had finished, they spent even more time together and Mark carried her around. They were inseparable throughout class and everybody could see just how much Mark loved her. If there was a stereotype of the perfect couple, they would have been it.

Both Mark and Luna were unafraid of showing how much they cared for the other, going as far to support each other on sports day, even though they were in different houses. They would show their affection in the presence of anyone; friends, family, teachers, strangers, anyone. Results came in early July and Luna was shocked at her grades, she couldn't believe how badly she had done. She then promised all the teachers that she would work harder and more to achieve good grades and get into the uni and course that she wanted. This was when Mark and Luna's relationship started to go downhill.