Chapter 4: A Noisy Commotion

It was after Mark sent this that he tried to take his own life. It took a while for Mark to muster up enough will power but he took a final controlled breath. Mark jumped and started falling. He kept on falling and falling. As he was about to hit the ground, his phone vibrated. A message from Luna. He had no time to see what it said though as he blacked out from the searing pain surging around his body.

His phone read like this; "Mark, if you are about to do what I think you're about to do, stop right now. What is there to gain by ending it. So we may not be on the same terms as last year, but that doesn't mean I haven't thought about you every day, waiting for you to check up on me. Yes, we may have argued a lot more this year because of what other people have said, but we can put that behind us. The truth is Mark that I think I've loved you as much as you've loved me, I was just oblivious to it last year as it just helped my relationship with Sol. But now that we don't hang out as much, my relationship became toxic and I broke it off earlier this November. I guess the reason i've been looking at you differently and ignoring you is because I needed to get my head around the last two years. I miss you Mark. I miss our alone time where we would talk about anything, I miss holding hands with you and hugging you, I miss us. So please, I don't think I could ever forgive myself if something was to happen to you. Just think it through, I don't want this to be the end for us. Luna."

Screams erupted around the playground. People rushed to the source of the commotion. Tears flew. Heads were held in hands. Teachers pushed their way through the crowd and immediately saw the cause. The call was placed. Sirens enveloped the school. The noise drowned out only by the eerie silence that hung in the air. Paul had tracked Mark's location after his worrying message and saw him fall. He stood there, motionless, helpless. He also had seen him take out his phone mid-fall and noticed the regret on his face. He had stumbled over to him, picked up his phone and read the message that Luna had sent him. In the instant that he finished reading the message, he sent one to her, the sense of urgency, panic and despondence filling the text "come to the playground now, you're not going to like this."

Luna sensed that she already knew what had happened as soon as she had heard the ear-piercing scream from the other side of the school, since she had sent her text just seconds before. She sprinted across to the playground where almost the whole school was now gathered. She couldn't bear the thought of what she was about to see, so instead she called out to Paul and he came over to her. She asked, "is it what I think it is?". Paul just nodded reluctantly. Tears flooded her eyes and she sank to her knees. "Why, why did he do it, I told him not to." she said shakily, her voice breaking every breath. Paul explained how it happened, steadying himself with deep breaths, and told Luna of the instant regret he had when he saw the notification on his phone. Paul then got angry at her, realising that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for her, and stormed off to be by himself. Luna couldn't handle it. Her best friend was angry at her for causing his best friend to kill himself in front of his very own eyes, and the person she loved the most was now dead.

The paramedics ordered everyone to get out of the way as they stretchered him off the ground and back to the ambulance. Luna followed them and asked if she could come with them. They asked her what relation she had to the patient and she instantly said his girlfriend. They sped off trying to get him to the hospital as quickly as possible. Luna stood by his side the whole journey until the doctors said that she would have to wait until after surgery to see him once more. Luna prayed and prayed to every god she could think of, begging that he would somehow make it out alive.