Chapter 13: A New Start

Paul, Luna, and Violet arrived at the hospital. They made their way to room 247 to find that Mark was once again sleeping. Luna blurted out, "I thought I was the one with the sleeping problems" to which she then realised was a bit insensitive of her, so sat down red in the face. Paul teared up at the sight of his best friend connected to all the machines, so Violet told him to come and sit down with her and Luna. As there was no other seat left he put his head in Violet's lap and his legs on Luna's legs. Violet played with Paul's hair so much that when he got up to see Mark it was sticking up on end.

Paul entered the room, Violet not far behind him and sat down next to the limp form of his best friend. Paul reached out for Mark's hand and said to him, "hi Mark, I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner but I didn't think you were gonna make it out of this one. By the way I'm sorry that I almost shot your girlfriend, I don't think you would have ever forgiven me if I had. I'm so happy for you guys, for you especially. I know how badly it has been for you, seeing her every day, knowing that she is with someone else. But you finally did it Mark, you finally got her."

At this moment, Mark woke up and said, "I did, didn't I. What did you mean by almost shooting her anyway?". Paul convinced him that he was joking and promised himself that he would have to get Luna to say that he was joking aswell. Mark greeted Violet and she started saying how happy she was now that their best friends were finally together, and how their would be no more tension in the group of friends.

For the first time, Mark got out of the hospital bed and went outside for fresh air with the people that meant the most to him. Luna wheeled him around in the wheel chair that he had to use due to his fractures. They spent the entire day talking about whatever came to mind and how he had carefully timed this so he would miss mocks. At the end of the day, Paul and Violet said goodbye and went back to Violet's house. Luna took Mark back to his bed and helped him get back into it. Mark couldn't be happier than he was in that moment.

This was the first day where he had felt at peace with the world and hadn't had anything bad happen to him. As he got back underneath the duvet, he said to Luna, "it's just aswell I jumped in the end isn't it." Luna asked how so, "well, for starters I now have the most beautiful girlfriend in the whole universe, whom I love ever so much, I have the best best friends anyone could ask for and I have the best of times to look forward to."

Luna just laughed and smiled back at Mark. She then said, "Mark I hope you know that if you hadn't of jumped, I still would have chosen you that day. Do you know why, because I love you more than I have loved anyone else and being with you makes me happy. Whenever I was feeling down, you were always the one to comfort me or check up on me. You bring out the best in me and gave me everything you had, even though I made your life miserable. So I just want you to know that no matter what happens, I do and will always love you and be by your side."

Mark laughed and said, "yeah I know. But admit it, me being in a vulnerable situation helped didn't it, because you know that it works every time." At this, Luna burst out laughing along with Mark, reminding herself of all the times Mark had used that exact phrase to cheer her up, and she thought to herself that she was quite possibly the luckiest human on the planet to have even met this perfect example of a true human being.

The doctors came in to the room and told the pair of them that Mark would be able to go home tomorrow morning so asked Luna to tell his parents that he would need some clothes as he was coming home.

Mark was going home happy for the first time since he was born. He really couldn't have planned it any better, could he. Mark's fresh start awaited.