Chapter 21: Bang Bang

Sol pulled the trigger. The bang echoed around the block. Birds flew off in random directions from their perch. Squirrels ran in every which way. The fox in the back garden jumped the fence and the next. Everything returned to silence. Mark clasped his chest where the bullet had pierced through his skin. Blood trickled out from under his hand. He fell onto his bed face up. Sol smiled and said goodbye. As he went to leave the room, Mark mustered up enough energy to kick the gun out of his hand and retrieve it from the floor.

A second bang reverberated around the room, disorientating Mark who consequently passed out. The bang signalled the end. Sol collapsed to the floor in disbelief. Why didn't Mark just die for once. Sol grabbed the wound in his back and slowly stood up. He took the gun back from Mark and held it up to his head when his legs gave way. He rocked backwards as he pulled the trigger for the second time, causing the bullet to wedge itself in the wall above Mark's head. Sol was confused. Why had his legs just given out like that. Then his arms relaxed to the side of his body. Mark had shot his spinal cord and taken out his nervous system.

Sol went into a seizure as his nerves stopped sending signals. The jerking movements left him slouched in the corner of the room, gun in hand. Suddenly, Sol went still and his eyes shut. He was braindead from a lack of oxygen and would soon be dead.