Chapter 6: Violent and Awkward

Paul and Mark reached the group of friends; Luna, Janine, James, and Paul's girlfriend Violet. As soon as they sat down, Luna grabbed Paul's arm and dragged him over to a place where they couldn't be overheard. Luna was very annoyed that Paul had the audacity to bring Mark back with him considering everything that was going on right now and shouted in his face. The rest of the group were looking upon their exchange and the silence was very awkward for the four of them. Violet was getting very stressed over how Luna was reacting towards Paul and asked James if he could help her stop it from advancing any further, leaving Mark and Janine alone. Paul merely asked Luna to try and keep it civil for everybody else's sake as even though they supported her, they didn't have a problem with Mark, except Janine, but James would help her through it. Meanwhile, Janine slaps Mark around the face and starts giving a lecture to him. "This is all your fault you know. If you hadn't have hung around Luna last year then I wouldn't have had to make up all those rumours about you. You see I personally have no problem with you, I think you are a great guy and if you weren't so head over heels in love with Luna then you never know what might have happened. But your addiction and obsession over her is only going to backfire on all of us. So if you really love her, just let her be, she is more than happy with Sol. I think it's best if you leave before you spoil our day." Mark refused so got handed another slap from Janine, this one even more violent than the last.

Luna just looked at Jeremy incredulously. How could this young boy figure out what was going on before her. And he was right, she did really like Mark. This only caused another set of tears to stream down her face and Jeremy sat down next to her and gave her a hug. Luna hugged him back and thought just how similar he was to his brother. He knew how to be compassionate and caring but was clever and witty aswell. Jeremy spoke up, stating, "I can see why Mark loves you, you smell really good. Its's almost intoxicating. If things with Mark don't work out, well you know where to find me." Luna stifled out a bit of laughter and Jeremy quickly said, "works every time". Luna sat there reminiscent of all the times Mark had cheered her up in similar ways and ended it with exactly the same words. She remembered all the hugs that he had given her whenever she was feeling down or tired and how it would act like a cure. She remembered how she used to wait for him to come up and hug her, longing for those small moments of joy. She sat there waiting, basking in the memories of them together, the good and the bad. Waiting until she could once again share moments like them by his side. 

Out of the corner of his eye, Paul saw Mark recoil from the vicious slap that had left a raw handprint on the side of his face. Paul rushed over and asked Janine what had happened, not wanting to cause any more trouble within the group. Janine tried to explain the bright red handprint on Mark's face by saying that he had a spider on his face and she freaked out at the sight of it, knowing that James would back her up about her arachnophobia. Paul couldn't believe what the tension between Mark and Luna was doing to his close group of friends. Mark simply reached out for Paul and held onto him tightly. Violet got slightly annoyed and angry at this, as she felt that Paul was spending a lot of time with Mark and Luna trying to help them past their feud. She felt neglected by her own boyfriend, even though she knew in her heart that he was only trying his best to help everyone. It was with this that she stormed off, away from the concerned and conflicted group. Paul looked up and wondered why Violet had left. Mark could see Paul's worry about Violet so nudged him and told him to follow her and see why she was upset. This left Mark in a very awkward position however. Although James and he were good friends, Mark knew that he would side with Janine should a situation arise. Additionally, Mark couldn't help but feel Janine and Luna were talking about him without his awareness, just like at school really. It wasn't long after Paul had left, that James suggested they head home for the night, clearly sensing that nobody was going to be talking aloud anymore.