Chapter 11: Reassuring News

The phone rang and rang but there was no answer. Luna tried and tried but had to accept that he wasn't going to pick up, so she sent a text instead, "hi babe, I'm sorry about all this, but they just said Mark's going to be ok. Please come and visit him, it'll mean the world to him seeing his best friend. I know that you and I aren't on the best terms right now but now that we're going to be spending a lot more time together, we really need to try, especially for Mark's sake."

Mark's father called out to Luna as Mark wanted to see her.

Mark had obtained a whiteboard so he could write down what he wanted to say. He asked Luna how Jeremy was at her parent's house and how Paul was after witnessing him jump, as he remembered seeing him midfall. Luna said Jeremy was doing fine and was enjoying living at her house, although he had quite often been caught going through Luna's room and flirting with Luna's younger sister, Summer. Mark just shook his head and his parents couldn't believe their ears when she had said this. They reassured her that they would have words with him when they next saw him. Luna said that it wasn't necessary and that she didn't mind really. Luna then sadly told Mark that she hadn't heard from or about Paul at all. Mark seemed worried at this and wrote out, "you must find him. He's a bigger threat to himself than I was. Can you pass me my phone?" Luna gave Mark his phone and Mark texted Paul asking where he was and that he was worried about him. Mark then asked Luna to go out and find him or even call Violet. Luna reluctantly left Mark's side and exited the hospital.

She called Violet as she was quite good friends with her anyway. Violet picked up and said that she hadn't seen Paul in about two days and hadn't spoken to him either, which she then admitted was a bit unusual. Violet however, had Paul's location tracked on her phone, so she told Luna to meet her there.

They ended up meeting in front of Paul's house. They knocked on the door, and his mom answered the door and asked what they needed. They expressed their concern of Paul's wellbeing so she let them in and they rushed into his room. They found him sitting down on his bed with a gun held gently in his right hand. He startled when his door opened and instinctively held the gun towards the door. That's when he saw his girlfriend and his previous best friend. His expression turned from sadness to angriness at the sight of Luna. He held the gun up to her and promised that he would pull the trigger for Mark.

Violet stepped in front of the gun, blocking Luna from sight. She moved forwards slowly and held out her hand to Paul. She asked why he was acting this way and why he hated Luna. Paul screamed out, "she is the reason Mark jumped. She is the reason Mark is gone. He jumped right in front of me, even after all my reasoning not to. He chose to jump because of her, because he couldn't take the neglect and hate that she gave him!" Violet explained, "Baby, Mark is going to be fine. The doctors have said he will make a full recovery and might even be able to play sport again quite soon. Besides, how will taking your pain out on Luna help. Do you not think that if Mark was gone, he would want you to support Luna, the most important thing in the world to him, look out for her?"

Paul handed the gun over to Violet, breaking down in tears, who placed the gun on the bookcase next to her on safety. Violet then embraced Paul in a long, compassionate hug. She kept on repeating "it's going to be fine.", over and over again. Paul calmed down and then realised just what Violet had said. Paul was overjoyed at the information that his best friend was alive and healthy. He apologised to Luna for his behaviour and thinking that it was her fault that Mark had jumped. He then asked her if he could accompany her back to the hospital. Luna didn't even bother to answer and just told him to come with her. Violet also went to the hospital with them. Paul then asked Luna what was going on between her and Mark. Luna shared the news that they were going out and Paul jumped on her in excitement and Violet just said, "I am here you know". They all erupted into laughter.