Chapter 9: Miracles Do Happen

Luna was suddenly awakened by the sound of heavy footsteps. The doctors had stormed into the room at the sign of apparent danger. Mark's heart rate was slowing. Luna was hurried out of the room. She went to the window to watch what was happening. However, as soon as Luna had left the room, Mark's heart rate started to normalise again, before rising slightly. The doctors were very confused as to this strange behaviour, but one doctor came up with a theory. The theory went that Mark could feel the presence of the girl outside, and that when he is with her, he is at peace causing his heart rate to slow. This would explain why his heart rate peaks so low and high.

Luna was relieved to say the most, as were the rest of Mark's family. The doctor's just warned her not to stay with him for too long whilst he is in this unconscious state. Luna remained outside the room for a while, allowing Mark to get some proper rest.

Time went by slowly. It was now three days since he had jumped, but he was making very good signs of progress. Luna stayed with him regularly for short periods of time as to not provoke heart failure. It was 5:00 p.m. when Luna was resting with Mark, that a harsh sound yet again woke Luna up. However, this time she couldn't care less. Mark had been roused by the heavy head on his chest, causing him to breathe out sharply. He slowly managed to move his arm towards the heavy head full of smooth, luscious hair and started pulling his fingers through it. Luna sat there in silence, enjoying every last second of it.

She couldn't bare the suspense anymore, so she spoke out saying "you had me worried there for a moment. I thought I was never going to see you again." Luna pressed the buzzer to alert the doctors to Mark's return to consciousness. She turned her head around so she was now facing Mark. Mark simply gazed into her warm brown eyes like he used to, his mind lost inside of them. Mark tried to speak but found that he couldn't. He gestured to his mouth and shrugged, asking Luna the question of why he couldn't speak.

Luna didn't know why. But she didn't care. Mark was going to be alright. She would be able to make memories with him once more. She just smiled at Mark, tears filling her eyes. She stated that she liked him better when he couldn't speak. Mark scowled at her, causing her to laugh and say that it was a joke. Mark nodded his head saying that he knew it was. Then, Luna unexpectedly blurted out to Mark, "I love you". Mark was taken aback by this remark, but he mimed back I love you too.

The doctors and Mark's parents came into the room. Mark held Luna's hand whilst the doctors took notes on his new condition, checking his vitals were alright and that he had full brain function.

The doctors were happy to announce to the four of them that Mark would indeed make a full recovery and that he might even be able to play sport in the not too distant future. Mark was confused at this point and he tapped Luna on the shoulder as if to say, "why can I not play sport when I leave the hospital?" Luna told him that during the fall, Mark had broken his right hip, some ribs, punctured his right lung and broken his left ankle.

Upon this news, Mark looked very upset. He began to cry, as if saying "what is left for me? What is there to do now?" Luna then pointed out that although he might not be able to play sport for a while, at least he now had the most important thing in his life back. Her.

Luna stayed with Mark until he once again fell asleep, comforting him and keeping his spirits high, so that when they finally left this place, they would be able to turn over a new leaf. A new chapter in their limited lives. Something to finally look forward to for the pair of them. And with that, Luna left the room and made a call to someone she needed to apologise to.