Hades

I approach Zeus and Poseidon after Persephone's ceremony, trying to divert my attention from her. Knowing that she's the one who caught my attention at the last meeting, and now that she's a goddess, is too coincidental.

And gods, she looks stunning tonight. The way her complexion matches that shade of red. And how she smiled when the Fates recited the spells to turn her into a goddess. Gods, that smile... snap out of it, Hades.

"Ah, Hades!" Zeus smiles and waves me over to him and Poseidon. "Wonderful evening to coronate a new goddess, huh?"

I stare at the marbled floor. "I suppose."

"So, she's the Goddess of Spring," Poseidon comments. "What does that entail, exactly?"

Zeus sighs and runs his fingers through his snow-white beard. "She'll be working alongside her mother in the meadow for eternity, it seems."

Something unpleasant stirs inside of me when Zeus says this. It's almost anger-like. Anyone with eyes can see that Demeter controls her daughter as if she were a puppet.

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice the Fates walking around with nobody to speak to. That is until Zeus notices them and orders them over to where we are conversing.

"Why did you seem to hesitate when announcing her abilities?" Zeus asks the Fates. The three of them glance around nervously, making sure no one else is eavesdropping.

One of the three Fates glances at me, then back at Zeus. "Lord Zeus, there is something else we'd like to share with you."

"What is it?" he asks them.

The three Fates stare at me, and only me, for a few uncomfortable moments before saying in unison: "Hades cannot hear this."

Narrowing my eyes, I oblige and walk away from them, to the other side of the throne room. I pass by Persephone's throne, which I'm still wondering why it looks similar to mine. Hephaestus is leaning against a pillar, watching his wife, Aphrodite, speak to Artemis.

"Hades," Hephaestus greets me gruffly. His arms are crossed over his heavily armored chest, the way he's always dressed.

"Hephaestus," I reply with a quick nod. "I wasn't aware of Aphrodite's and Artemis's friendship."

"I was thinking the same," he chuckles. "I thought Aphrodite hated the idea of a woman using weapons as Artemis does." Hephaestus scratches his scruffy chin. "So, what made you show up tonight? Everyone knows you hate the surface."

"I won't bore you with my problems, but I don't hate rising to the surface. I have my reasons for staying in the Underworld," I reply as I watch the Olympians talk in their small cliques around the throne room. "Zeus came to the Underworld when he heard that I wasn't coming."

Hephaestus releases out a loud, hearty laugh that makes his bulging stomach jiggle. "Zeus in the Underworld? That's not something you see every day."

"Trust me, I know," I chuckle. My eyes wander over to Zeus and the Fates. Zeus looks troubled, yet amused at the same time. The Fates glance around in a paranoid manner. I can't help but wonder what they told Zeus about Persephone, and why I couldn't hear it. "Excuse me, Hephaestus."

I find myself walking back over to Zeus, not before passing Persephone on my way. In fear of doing something idiotic, I walk by without muttering a word to her. As soon as I do so, I curse myself. That probably came off as rude.

The Fates notice me approaching, and they quickly say goodbye to Zeus before exiting the palace. Zeus seems to force a grin as I stand beside him.

Poseidon, who also heard what the Fates said, takes a large gulp of his wine. "Persephone really is a beautiful woman. Perhaps it's time to find suitors for her?"

Zeus nods vigorously. "I agree, Poseidon, I agree."

As soon as this is said, I rake a hand through my hair, not wanting to hear any more of this conversation. Pawning off Persephone like she's a prize to be won isn't something I want to be a part of. "I think it's time for me to manage the Underworld again. Brothers, it's been a pleasure. Perhaps I'll see you in a few millennia."

"Not so fast, brother!" Poseidon boasts, grabbing hold of my arm and yanking me back into the small conversation circle we've created. "Why don't you offer to marry Persephone? You must be dreadfully lonely in the Underworld."

I shrug his arm off of me. "Very humorous, Poseidon. Goodbye."

Zeus and Poseidon share a look that I don't understand what it means. "Hades, it's time to open your heart to love--" Zeus tries, but I interrupt him, suddenly feeling my blood boiling.

"You do not order me around, Zeus. You forget that I'm older than you. Now, I'm leaving. Goodbye." I storm out of the castle and round up my horses before ordering them to plunge down, down, down into the earth and into my domain.

~~~

Once I'm back in the Underworld, I spend the remainder of my night in my suite, staring out my window and studying the blood-red sky, waiting for sleep to come. It doesn't, as usual. I'm not sure why I expected anything different. Servants try to offer me food and other luxurious things, but I order them out.

I've always been a joke to my brothers, the end of every prank they've pulled. They've always been lucky in the love department. Me? I've always been lonely here. And besides, who would ever learn to love a god who rules over dead mortals?

Whaaaaat?! I updated twice within two days?! Crazyyyy. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. We're going to start getting into Hades and Persephone interacting pretty soon, I expect. Bear with me, guys. It's going to get better, I promise. Much love <3 and don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you for reading!