Hades

I close the door to the room Persephone is staying in and cross the hallway to enter a guest bedroom.

It's not nearly as comfortable as my bedroom. I never felt the need to update the decor or even the newer styles of bedsheets and curtains. It's a bland bedroom and, if I daresay, it's quite uncomfortable. The windows are small and the room itself is stuffy.

Which is why I didn't want Persephone to stay in the guest rooms. I wanted her to stay in mine because it's definitely more comfortable and up-to-date than the others.

I slip into the rock-hard bed and pull the musty sheets up to my chin. I sigh, knowing that if Laverna finds out that Persephone is staying over, she'll be outraged. Though it's dark, I stare up at the high ceiling, wishing for sleep to overcome me.

It doesn't.

I slip out of bed, shaking my head when dizziness rushes through me. Leaving the bedroom, I make sure to walk extra quietly so as not to wake Persephone. I'm sure she's tired after working in the garden all day in addition to dealing with Demeter.

A servant passes me as I'm stepping down the staircase. "Lord Hades? What are you doing awake at this hour?"

I rub my eyes. "I'm not tired."

"Hades?" 

I turn around and realize Persephone is leaning against the handrails on the staircase. "Persephone, you should be sleeping."

"I heard you in the hallway." Her eyes are drooping and it looks as if she will fall over with exhaustion at any moment. She yawns and stretches her arms out. "Are you all right?"

I nod and offer her a wary smile. "Of course. Persephone, you're exhausted. Go to sleep." 

"I'm fine," she assures me. "I just want to make sure you're getting enough sleep." She smooths out her light pink nightgown and steps down a few more stairs. "What's keeping you awake?"

"The bed is uncomfortable, that's all." I shrug. "Besides, I forgot to see Titan today, so I was just about to go visit him. He's in the kitchen."

Her eyes light up at the mention of the dog. "Titan! Can I please come with you? Please, please please?"

Laughing, I reply, "Yes! Come with me."

We walk down the staircase. The rooms are empty; the servants are in the servants' chambers, sleeping soundly. Only a few servants are up and about throughout the night. The fires are dying and the castle is cooling down.

The castle is still.

Persephone skips behind me as if she hadn't just been sleeping only a few minutes prior. Her smile is glowing as we walk towards the kitchen.

"I was dreaming about flowers," she tells me. I turn my head to look at her and find her hands clasped behind her back. There's a slight skip in every step she takes. Her bright green eyes are locked on the castle's decorations and atmosphere. "But not just any flowers. They were... different."

"I take you as one who enjoys tulips," I reply with a slight smile on my face. "What kind of flowers were you dreaming about?"

Never would I have ever thought that I'd be engaged in a conversation about flowers.

But sometimes, life surprises you.

She taps her chin, deep in thought. "Well, I don't know what they're called. They were deep red, like blood." Persephone gasps. "Oh! They also had thorns."

I bite back a chuckle. "It sounds like you were dreaming about roses."

"Roses! Yes, that's what they're called!" she exclaims, laughing. Again, her nose scrunches up as my ears are filled with her care-free and light-hearted laugh. "They're quite beautiful, but Mother never let me grow them because they're 'dangerous'." Persephone rolls her eyes and makes air quotes with her fingers when referencing Demeter.