Persephone

A few days have gone by since Mother visited. During this time, Hades has been fixing Thanatos's mess and tending to the dead.

I've been in my happy place: the garden.

It feels like an eternity has passed since I've grown a plant. Since my hands have touched soil. Since my fingernails have been covered in moist dirt.

I'm kneeling in the soil, now, encouraging the roses in the garden to grow into the beautiful flowers they're bound to be. Sweat lines my forehead, as I've been in the garden for a few hours now. I feel as though I could spend any length of time here and never grow bored.

My stomach growls, but I've been ignoring it. I'll eat when I feel like I've been productive in the garden.

"Love, you've been here all afternoon," Hades's voice chuckles behind me.

I turn to him and wave him off. "You are supposed to be tending to the dead!"

"I'm finished for the day," he replies, kneeling down with me, making sure not to get dirt on himself. He cringes at the sight of the dirt; I giggle.

I stand and brush myself off. "Well, I suppose I should go to the kitchen, then. I haven't eaten all day."

Hades stares up at me expectantly. I roll my eyes with a playful grin and offer him my hand. With his healing injuries, he still requires help with standing up and other little tasks.

"Thank you," he laughs. I notice that his hair is ruggedly tousled; I almost begin drooling on the spot. "I'll come to eat with you, if you don't mind."

"No, thank you," I joke. Hades rolls his eyes and follows me inside the castle. Warmth instantly embraces me; outside, it was freezing. Goosebumps were covering my body and my breath was visible.

"The garden looks beautiful," Hades tells me as we enter the kitchen. Fire is glowing with a cauldron hanging over it with some sort of stew. The cooks are stirring the pot and notice us entering. "You have been working hard on it."

I take one of his hands into both of mine. "Thank you, Hades."

The cooks offer us some bread with cups of stew. Hades and I sit on the floor in front of the large fire: totally unlike how the King of the Underworld should be eating his late lunch, but here we are.

I watch Hades make a small mess all over himself as he eats. I cover my mouth to suppress a giggle. He wipes his mouth with the back of his hand as if nothing happened. How is someone so attractive also insanely adorable?

"What?" he asks finally, noticing my silent smile.

"Nothing."

He gives me a disbelieving look. "You're lying."

I take a cloth napkin that was on the side of my plate and lean forward to wipe the excess food from his mouth. "I was just thinking about how adorable you are."

He glares at me and pouts his bottom lip. "I'm the dark, ruthless God of the Underworld. The word 'adorable' doesn't describe me."

I shake my head at him, still giggling. "So, so adorable."

He leans his head back and groans in annoyance. "No."

Placing my empty dishes to the side, I crawl over into Hades's lap. He hugs me close to him so that my back is pressed against his chest. Hades rests his chin on my shoulder; we both stare at the glowing fire.

"You're freezing," he whispers softly, gently caressing each of my fingers with his own.

"I'm all right," I reply, shifting my gaze down to our hands entangled with the other's.