Hades

"Lord Hades, we're trying our best--"

"I don't care, it's not enough," I snarl through clenched teeth. My fingertips drum against the armrest of my throne in angst.

"Thanatos told us to--"

"Is he your King?" I yell, standing from my throne. My fists are clenched and my face feels strained. "After everything I've done to ensure peace and safety among my people, you--" I gesture to the defiant servants--"decide that you'd rather have a power-hungry god be your leader?"

The two servants at the foot of my throne are wide-eyed in fear. They're trembling, clutching onto each other for support. I wave them off and roll my eyes. "Lord Hades, he promised us better living conditions."

I swallow a laugh. "Are you joking?"

"N-no..."

"I provide each of you three full meals every day," I start, turning back to them with amuse written all over my face. "Each of you gets your own living quarters. I give each of you time off for breaks. What more could Thanatos offer?"

"Hades?"

I sigh and hesitantly turn towards the voice. Persephone.

"Is there something wrong?" she asks softly, approaching me and my throne after casting an uncertain glance at the two servants. Her presence sends a wave of relief over me.

I gesture to the servants. "Thanatos was offering the servants better living conditions for their loyalty."

Persephone's green eyes flick to the unloyal servants. "I thought you've already offered good living conditions to them."

"That's what I thought!" I groan, pinching the bridge of my nose. 

"He was going to pay us in jewels," one of the servants squeaks. 

I'm about to speak, but Persephone places a hand on the crook of my arm as she steps in front of me to speak to the servants. "Thanatos will never be your King; Hades is. Show him the respect he deserves or we will cut your meals down to two every day."

"Perse--"

"We apologize for our behavior, Your Majesties!" they profess hastily. One of then continues, "We will be in the vault, organizing the jewels by color, then."

"Very good," I sigh, slumping back into my seat. They both scurry away while Persephone stares at me with pity. "I don't want your sympathy."

"I would never pity you," she says quietly, then sits on the armrest of my throne. I glance up at her and instantly feel my vexations evaporate when I see her smiling at me. "I think you are a great king."

I shrug. "You think so? Even after they were disobeying my orders?" I ask sarcastically. "They definitely prefer Thanatos as King."

She rests a hand on my shoulder. "He was baiting them," she sighs. "They would've hated him as King, I'm sure."

I clench my jaw and nod solemnly. 

"Lord Hades?" I glance up and see Evadne standing at the throne room entrance, eyes widened with fear. "Demeter is here."

Persephone stiffens and I suck in my breath. "It will turn out fine," I promise her quietly. "Evadne, please send her here."

"Very well." Evadne turns and leaves the throne room.

Persephone is clutching onto my hand, squeezing it as if her life depended on it. She's trembling and I wish I could comfort her.

"You had better give my daughter back to me right this instant, Hades!" Demeter storms in, face red, stomping across the floor.