Hades

She smiles at me as a few moments of silence pass. Her bright eyes automatically capture my attention, hesitant to let go.

"So, when should I come back?" Persephone asks gently in that beautiful voice of hers. I blink to knock myself out of it.

"Uh, you can come any time, Persephone. You're always welcome." I wince at the boldness of my words. "Anyone is, for that matter."

She nods once with a small grin on her pink lips. "That sounds wonderful. Thank you, King Hades. I'd best be getting back home, now."

Artemis is leaning against the stone walls of the castle. "I'll make sure she returns safely, Hades. Don't give me that worried look."

I frown. "I don't know what you're talking about."

She winks at me. "Whatever you say."

The two girls turn to leave my castle. Persephone gives me a small wave before following Artemis out of the foyer. "Oh, Persephone?"

She stops in her tracks, turns to me, and fiddles with a loose thread on her clothing. "Yes?"

"I just... I want you to enjoy your work. Growing flowers, and all. The Underworld isn't a place for flowers and joy. I just don't want you to regret choosing to work in the garden here," I tell her honestly.

Persephone laughs, takes a step closer to me, leaving a few inches between us. My breathing quickens, but I lock my jaw to hold my composure. She smells like roses. Sweet, peaceful roses.

"That's why I'm here," she whispers, staring into my eyes. "To bring joy and peacefulness to a dark place. I know the Underworld is capable of being a good place for dead souls to reside. I have hope for it."

My heart pounds. "Persephone..."

"Yes?"

"Please don't lose that hope."

She steps away from me, and the smell of roses vanishes. "I'll return soon. Hopefully tomorrow."

I nod. "Oh, be careful with Cerberus. He gets hungry around this time, and I haven't had a moment to feed him."

Artemis steps back into the foyer, the sound of her stomping boots echoing off the walls. "Persephone, your mother will return soon. You don't want her to worry, do you? You'll be banished from leaving the cottage for months!"

Persephone sighs. "I know, Artemis. I know." She turns back to me. "Thank you again... for the internship. It means the world to me."

With that, she skips behind Artemis, out of my domain. I find myself sitting in my dining hall a while later wondering how a man hasn't asked for her hand in marriage yet. All I can picture is her bright smile.

Oh, Hades. What have you gotten yourself into?

I updated!! Haha I know this chapter is short, but I needed some interaction between our potential lovebirds and I also need to share Persephones side of the story very soon. I'm so excited! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter <3