Fourteenth Chapter

❝The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves.❞

- William Penn

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

When I woke up, I was getting assaulted by both the light coming from the window and my head. I stared right at the white ceiling above me, still laying in this surprisingly comfortable couch at Mr Featherhead's apartment.

Memories from last night and the party were finally rushing back into my head, causing me to sit up. Holy fucking shit, Bailey got pregnant with Eli's child. A searing, hot knife of betrayal lodged through my chest.

Suddenly, things that were a complete enigma to me somehow made sense. The way Eli and Bailey acted months prior made sense, maybe Eli King wasn't worth looking up to at all. If I could go back to my freshman year, I would've done things differently with this knowledge.

I figured Eli and Bailey were cheating for a long time before I found out, how could I have been so fucking stupid and naive?

I wanted to let go of the tears that were building up, but I think I've already had my limit. I was not going to spiral back into the pit of despair because of my ex-acquaintances, they could go to hell.

I knew I couldn't just ignore this feeling forever, but I was not as weak as I was just a month ago, I was not going to let streams run down my face at any mental obstacle in my road to happiness. I was right about one thing though, something bad was bound to happen, things were just going a little too well for me.

My train of thoughts had come to a sudden stop when I heard footsteps coming from around the corner - I figured that's where Blake's bedroom was.

I was half expecting a sleepy Mr Featherhead to pop in around the corner, but instead, I was met by a strawberry blonde woman heading for the door of the apartment, she was dressed in regular clothing, scavenging the floor for her shoes.

She was completely oblivious to my presence on the couch until she bent down to put on her shoes properly. The woman looked at me with a blank expression and I stared back at her.

A blink from her was countered with one from me, I was kind of enjoying the awkwardness.

Just like that, a few moments later she had gone through the door without uttering a word. I figured that was for the best. That must've been the 'friend' that was staying at Blake's, I thought to myself, unnecessarily bitter.