Seventeenth Chapter

❝A smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring, sharing person inside.❞ 

- Denis Waitley

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

After we made our way into the locker room, Blake sat my stiff self on a bench and went forward to get the emergency medkit hanging on the wall.

The fact that I was the one who scored the last goal and won Lockwood the game was the last thing on my mind. Instead, my mind was focused on the fact that Mr Featherhead and I were the only ones present in the locker room. Evelyn let go of me when Blake started supporting my weight, probably to torment me.

I wish someone else was here so I didn't have to be here with him, but I guess the universe was playing a cruel prank on me again. You know, a regular crush is bad enough, but when you have an undying thirst for someone and you can't even think about acting it out, that's when it hurts the worst.

Blake walked back to me with a big industrial medkit in his hands, the kind used to treat minor sports injuries. He opened it and rummaged through it, not making any eye contact with me. "Take off your boots, I need to see your ankle." Mr Featherhead instructed me, with a weird tone lacing his voice.

I did as he said and winced a little when I touched my ankle, this was surprisingly one of my soccer-related sports injuries ever. I've been playing for such a long time without getting involved in anything, I guess this was just bound to happen sometime.

The man pulled out a can of what I presumed to be instant ice-cold spray, normally used for sprains and minor injuries like these. "Ready? This is gonna be hella cold." He chuckled, but didn't wait for my response and sprayed the cold stream on my ankle.

I hissed when the spray made contact with my skin, however, soon the pain was getting better and I didn't care about the abnormally cold sensation around my ankle anymore.

"So, uh, what now?" I coughed awkwardly, breaking the awkward silence that had enveloped us. "Can I go shower now? I stink." That was a weak attempt at cracking a joke.

Blake smiled but shook his head in response. "You're supposed to stay here for at least fifteen minutes if I recall correctly. You can just shower afterwards." He explained. Once again, I wasn't familiar with the timings, so he could've been bullshitting me, but I decided to nod along and wait it out, what's the worst that could happen?

I didn't understand why the atmosphere between us turned into this awkward, suffocating mess. My mind rushed to the worst, did he find out that I was into him? Oh god, my life would be over, I would have to switch schools and identities.