Twenty-Third Chapter

❝There's a sorrow and pain in everyone's life, but every now and then there's a ray of light that melts the loneliness in your heart and brings comfort like hot soup and a soft bed.❞

 - Hubert Selby Jr.

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

I stormed out of the building, pushing the door open with extreme force, completely drowning in my rage.

I wanted to punch something right now, I was just itching to take my anger out on someone or something. I wasn't sad that Jake and Bailey were fucking, I was mad at Bailey specifically. I didn't know what the deal with her was but she just couldn't fucking let me be.

I don't know whether or not she was some kind of an 'if I can't have him, no one can' obsessive type of bitch, but I was done with it. I regretted defending Bailey and Eli from social destruction, I should have let it happen and I shouldn't have even batted an eyelash, but I didn't.

I was too empathetic for my good, I tried looking for the best in people, despite being thrashed around like a plastic bag in the wind.

I couldn't contain my rage anymore, I was livid. Breathing heavily, nostrils flaring - I was a millimetre away from doing something very stupid. I wanted to get revenge, but I knew I wasn't that malicious in the end, I knew my rage would soon subside and I would look at the situation from a different perspective - but I caved in to the feeling regardless.

I punched the red brick column and felt my knuckles split upon contact. I truly didn't know I possessed such strength, but I kept going at it, completely oblivious to my surroundings. I was too focused on the anger boiling inside me to feel Blake's presence behind me.

Suddenly, he wrapped his arms around me from behind, restricting my arms just so I couldn't hurt myself anymore. I knew I would thank him later, but at that moment all I wanted was to let loose.

"Let go of me!" I struggled, attempting to wriggle my body right out of his grasp, groaning when I realized my struggles were futile.

"Calm down, Hunter, it's okay." He whispered in my ear, pressing himself to me, the sudden warmth from our bodies moulding together knocked the wind out of me, but I regained my composure and tried to resist. "It's okay," Blake whispered over and over again.

But it was not okay.