Nineteenth Chapter

❝Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for your life to begin and start making the most of the moment you are in.❞

 - Germany Kent

[ H U N T E R   W I L L I A M S ]

I couldn't quite believe that autumn would soon come to an end. It was already the start of the last week of November and I laid in bed sort of awestruck, astonished as to how quickly time had been passing.

A lot has happened since my talk with Evelyn, I was considering her advice and opening myself to new possibilities. Scratch that - I was diving headfirst into new possibilities, because I couldn't have that dumb little crush on my teacher gnaw at my soul.

You'd be surprised as to how many new connections I had missed out on over the years, I was for sure. Ever since the word got out that I was open to all parties, I became some sort of a sensation - people were practically throwing themselves at me and I didn't know how to feel about that.

I guess the good part about the situation was that I began kindling new - more intimate - friendships, now, I wasn't sleeping around like a total pig - that was just unnecessary and so out of my character. I was simply looking at my options and I thought I found a perfect candidate for a possible love interest and his name was Jake Phillips.

He was the sort of guy to sit at the back of the classroom with his headphones in and ignore his surroundings. Somehow, he still managed to excel at most of his subjects and that intrigued me. He sort of reminded me of Evelyn - she was an absolute headcase, but an incredibly smart one.

Jake was incredibly closed off, I practically knew nothing about the guy, apart from the fact the was a part of the school's swim team, despite being in the same class for over three years. I seemed to have a thing for mysterious guys, now that I think of it, maybe it was just my dumb intuition guiding me into dumb circumstances, but the attraction - even if one-sided - was there.

A part of me knew that I was acting completely reckless when I decided to pursue his attention, but I couldn't let that part take over me again. I needed to force my growing feelings for Mr Featherhead out of the way - we could never be together, anyways, I had told myself.

Kindling a connection with Jake Phillips was easier than I had anticipated. Over a few days of talking to him, I found out a lot about him and I found myself wanting more. He seemed like the type of person to open to up to anyone willing to talk to him and I sympathized with that because I was just like him.

Maybe I had been moving way too fast when it came to Jake, okay, I was. But he was now a regular at my lunch table. Consciously, I think he knew what my true intentions were.